Numbers show Obama in slight lead

The most recent polling shows President Barack Obama with a modest lead over former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney in Wisconsin for the 2012 presidential race. 

Public Policy Polling’s most recent data shows Obama’s 50-to-44 lead against Romney is weaker than it was in 2008 but also shows he is the favorite in the November race.
The approval rating in the poll also favored Obama, with 47 percent approving of his job performance while 41 percent of voters regard Romney favorably. 

Gillian Morris, the Wisconsin press secretary at Obama for America, said for voters in Wisconsin, the choice is clear.

“We’re confident the president’s record of standing up for the middle class, making college more affordable and guaranteeing health insurance for 2.5 million young adults will result in broad support for President Obama across Wisconsin this November.” 

However, Nathan Conrad, spokesperson for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said in an email to The Badger Herald he thinks the momentum from the party’s success in the June 5 recall election will carry into the national election in November. 

“Wisconsinites have shown that the time for fiscally prudent decision-making is upon us,” Conrad said. “We have no doubt that the people of Wisconsin will rise to the occasion and deliver our 10 electoral votes to Governor Romney on Nov. 6, turning the Badger State red for the presidency for the first time in a generation.” 

University of Wisconsin political science professor Barry Burden said in an email to The Badger Herald he believes the polls have consistently shown Obama has a lead going into the election in November. Burden said except for the Rasmussen poll, surveys have shown the president to be up by an average of five or six points.

A week after the recall election, the Rasmussen poll showed Romney with a 47 to 44 lead in the state. Independent voters in the poll in Wisconsin also showed more support for Romney, with 43 percent of the state approving of Romney and 38 percent approving of Obama. 

The most recent PPP polling also tested potential in-state vice presidential nominees to run with Romney. The polls showed with Gov. Scott Walker on the ticket Obama’s lead would drop only slightly to a 49-to-43 lead against Romney.

However, when Romney is paired with Congressman Paul Ryan, R-Janesville, Obama’s lead drops to a slim 47 to 46 lead over Romney. 

Even though Obama’s lead is significantly less than it was in the 2008 election, Burden still maintained the polling was good news for Obama’s campaign.

“It is not clear what Romney can do to help his situation in Wisconsin. He has already visited the state multiple times and has linked up with both Paul Ryan and Scott Walker,” Burden said. “If the economy is not struggling enough for voters to remove Walker in the recall election, it is probably not bad enough for them to vote against Obama in November.”