Organizers concerned for student voice in elections

The Government Accountability Board’s decision Monday to push back recall election dates could affect the electorate that turns out to vote, including a smaller number of students, many of whom may be out-of-town on summer vacation when elections are held.

Pending the approval of a Dane County judge Wednesday, the deadline extension would move the recall election to May 8 unless primaries occurred, in which case the general election would occur June 5.

According to the University of Wisconsin’s academic calendar, final exams end May 19 and summer break will officially begin – two weeks before the likely general election.

At the GAB’s Monday meeting, the board addressed the issue of the deadline extension. Attorney Jeremy Levinson, who represents the recall committees, warned this extension could change the electorate participating in the election.

“As we move into June, the character of the electorate will change,” Levinson said. “I know the GAB’s goal is to leave as light of footprint as possible on this election. I think it is important to seek gratuitous elections that won’t change the electorate.”

GAB Staff Counsel Michael Haas said at the meeting that absentee voting would still be available for students who will be out of the state during the summer.

Jeff Snow, chair of UW’s chapter of College Republicans, said the board’s request for more time to count signatures was completely valid.

“The signatures need to be reviewed to make sure that the election is authentic and legitimate. To let the recall go unchecked would be bad for our state,” Snow said.

He also said if students are passionate about the recall, it wouldn’t matter if they were on campus or not. It would still be easy for Wisconsin students and out-of-state students to vote regardless of their location, he added.

Since the date of the general election is currently dependent on if primaries occur or not, Wisconsin Progress Executive Director Scott Spector released a statement Monday urging the four Republicans facing recall elections to “just say no” to “fake” primaries.