Senate Dems: Changes in reciprocity could hurt Wis. higher ed

Four Democrats on the state’s highest finance committee said they would oppose proposed changes to tuition reciprocity, a measure that could cause tuition spikes for Wisconsinites studying in Minnesota.

Members of the Joint Finance Committee sent a letter in objection to the passive review of a proposal to eliminate the subsidies that compensate for the higher cost of tuition for Wisconsin students who attend school in Minnesota.

Under the proposed changes in the budget bill, reciprocal tuition would remain in place, but Wisconsin students studying in Minnesota would face tuition increases because they would be required to begin paying Minnesota in-state tuition, which is higher.

The Legislative Fiscal Bureau reported the proposed elimination of these subsidies, which are paid out by the state to cover Wisconsin residents’ higher costs of education in Minnesota, would save taxpayers an estimated $12 million annually.

Rep. Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, sent a letter expressing opposition to the measure, which was also endorsed by Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, Rep. Tamara Grigsby, D-Milwaukee and Rep. Bob Jauch, D-Polar.

Kevin Benish, spokesperson for Grigsby, said the proposal could cause a 36 percent increase in tuition, or around a $1,400 increase, for Wisconsin students currently using the reciprocity while studying in Minnesota.

Benish also characterized the provision as an attack on higher education for Wisconsin students.

“At a time when we’re trying to train the next generation, it’s counterintuitive to raise tuition,” he said. “Education needs to be the priority instead of attacking students.”

About 10,300 students currently utilize the program, a figure Benish said represents those who stand to lose access to higher education and jobs after graduation.

He added Grigsby and other committee members have said Gov. Scott Walker should be investing in higher education, particularly in the wake of $250 million cuts in higher education.

While critics say the proposed changes would prove an injustice to students, representatives from the governor’s office contend the measure is an example of a tough decision made in order to preserve other in-state programs for students.

Cullen Werwie, spokesperson for Walker, said the plan would preserve the core quality of education in the state in the midst of a state budget deficit.

He said the policies put in place by previous administrations indirectly encouraged students to go out of state by allowing Wisconsin students to attend Minnesota institutions at a lower cost.

“Walker chose to retain state financial aid by changing some programs we didn’t think made sense,” Werwie said. “It’s fair to ask students to pay what similar students in that state are paying [in tuition].”

He added a tough economic climate throughout the state forced the administration to prioritize funding in other areas, including use of tax dollars to encourage and preserve need-based aid programs available for students.

Although one of Walker’s aims is to make higher education affordable for all students, Werwie said it is reasonable to pay a little more in tuition to preserve aid programs for students studying in Wisconsin.

Following the Democrats’ rejection of the review, Benish said the Republicans will bring provisions before the committee during their next meeting.