Baldwin asks U.S. attorney general to investigate Waukesha totals

After a game-changing discovery last week of uncounted votes in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race, a U.S. representative recently sent a letter to the country’s highest prosecutor asking him to conduct a federal investigation.

Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder over the weekend imploring him to look into the more than 14,000 uncounted votes found in Waukesha by County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus Thursday, more than a day after the polls closed and 100 percent of Wisconsin precincts reported their results.

Baldwin called on Holder to assign the Justice Department Public Integrity Section, which oversees election crime prosecution on the federal level, to investigate the vote record in Waukesha County to assure the people of Wisconsin the vote was fair.

“For our democracy to endure, we, the people, must have faith in its laws and system of justice, including faith that our elections for public office are fair and free from any manipulation or tampering,” Baldwin said in a statement. “… Numerous constituents have contacted me expressing serious doubt that this election was a free and fair one. They fear as I do that political interests are manipulating the results.”

Baldwin continued to raise a series of concerns with Holder, including Nickolaus’ practice of storing election data on her office computers instead of saving the information on the county’s computer network.

Nickolaus discovered the 14,315 unreported votes Wednesday, the day after the election, and announced them Thursday in a press conference. Challenger Wisconsin Assistant Attorney General JoAnne Kloppenburg had a 204-vote lead until the Waukesha votes put incumbent Justice David Prosser ahead by a commanding 7,500.

Prosser’s campaign manager Brian Nemoir said he considered Baldwin’s request for a federal-led investigation unnecessary because the county has been canvassed twice without any irregularities being found.

“Who in their right mind would withhold results the night of an election, preventing the candidate from celebrating, sitting on those results for 48 hours, putting their own professional life in upheaval, for what? To declare a delayed victory”? Nemoir said. “That would be an egregious example of narcissism.”

He added what happened in the Waukesha county clerk’s office was a human error, which he said is hardly a punishable crime. He said Baldwin is creating unnecessary concern by exploring a federal investigation.

Nemoir also said the Prosser campaign felt a Kloppenburg-led recount effort would not change the outcome of the race, specifically a recount in Waukesha county.

Kloppenburg’s spokesperson Melissa Mulliken said no decision on whether to request a recount would be made until the campaign could gather more information on what happened in Waukesha.

The campaign has been pouring over information received through an open records request, but has yet to conduct any analysis, Mulliken said.

Mulliken agreed with Baldwin’s desire to find out what happened in Waukesha.

“I think there are legitimate questions to be asked and answered here,” Mulliken said. “When you have an entire city that was missed, that is a significant error and we need to get to the bottom of it.”