State DNR breaks up ‘thrill kill’ game, arrests teens responsible

A state agency announced case dates Monday for a group of males suspected of killing raccoons and deer over the past two years in an organized competition where the victor would be the one who illegally killed the most valuable wildlife.

The Department of Natural Resources said an anonymous tip that came in toward the end of October led to the arrest of 12 men ages 16 to 19 from four northeast counties who allegedly planned on holding a “thrill kill” contest Oct. 30. The males were planning to have a numbering system for certain species and the person with the highest point total would win, according to George Protogere, DNR warden team supervisor.

“I was saddened to hear we have this going on,” Protogere said. “I don’t understand how they can make these types of choices.”

A DNR investigation found the suspects have allegedly been killing deer and raccoons over the past two years, though it was unclear whether those killings were for a contest. The suspects drove around and used car headlights to spot and freeze raccoons. While the animal was frozen, a passenger would leave the vehicle with a baseball bat or golf club and beat the raccoon until dead and leave it in a ditch, Protogere said.

The investigation reports the suspects killed 25 to 40 raccoons, Protogere said.

The suspects also allegedly sped up to strike road-crossing deer with their vehicle. However, the suspects told investigators they were unsure if the deer died because the deer would often recover from the collision and run away, Protogere said.

Of the suspects apprehended, 11 will be tried in Brown County and the 12th will be tried in Manitowoc County. Over 30 citations were issued and two of the suspects may face criminal charges with a possibility of jail time, according to a DNR statement.

This is not the first time the DNR has investigated animal killing cases including groups of people.

Over 35 cases of animal killings between 2005 and 2006 were characterized as thrill kills, according to a DNR statement.

The court cases in Brown County begin March 10, Protogere said.