Bill would allow governor to approve legislation before reaching floor

Two bills proposing an expansion of the governor’s executive power over law regulation and measures to make the new commerce department entity more transparent passed through committee hearings last week at the Capitol.

Currently, the Joint Committee of the Review of Administrative Rules is responsible for determining whether certain state agencies are exceeding the scope of legislature.

The new bill requires the rules and regulations decided on by a committee to be sent to the governor for initial approval, instead of the JRAR, before a review by full Legislature, Rep. Gary Hebl, D-Sun Prairie, a member of the Committee on Judiciary and Ethics, said.

The bill would allow Gov. Scott Walker a chance to view and approve legislation before it arrives on the floor of the Senate and Assembly.

Hebl said the bill would limit the power of particular agencies to promote their own rules and regulations, particularly the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

In the past, the DNR – among other agencies – has promulgated rules the governor felt surpassed the intent of the legislature, he said.

The bill raised concerns Walker may become too powerful and the system of checks and balances could fail.

“This does get into danger of upsetting the balance of the separation of powers. A unique feature of the American government system is the balance of powers and the ability of each branch to check one another, and [the bill] concentrates too much power in the executive branch,” David Canon, a University of Wisconsin political science professor, said.

The second bill to go through committee dealt with the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation, Walker’s new public-private organization that would replace the Department of Commerce.

Legislators discussed amendments to the bill that sought to maintain the autonomy of the WEDC while imposing restrictions to maximize the transparency and legislative oversight, a spokesperson for Rep. Mary Williams, R-Medford, Committee on Jobs, Economy and Small Business chair, said.

Of the four amendments proposed, three passed with unanimous support from both parties, according to Williams’ office.

Both bills are expected to receive enough votes in the Legislature to land on Walker’s desk this week.