Walker: Wisconsin commerce agency needs to be replaced

Adding to his job creation plans, Gov.-elect Scott Walker said Monday he supports replacing the state’s Department of Commerce with a private sector agency focused solely on job creation.

Walker made his announcement after being briefed on a strategy to improve Wisconsin’s economy by a group of state business, education and government leaders led by current and former presidents of Serigraph, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and the Wisconsin Technology Council.

The briefing report advocates creating an independent Job Creation Board and allocating Commerce Department activities that are not related to jobs to other state departments.

While the expressed mission of the state Commerce Department is to “drive retention and creation of quality jobs,” the department is also responsible for a myriad of issues not strictly related to employment.

Among these duties, the Commerce Department tests petroleum product and tank system safety and administers plumbing, sewage, ground water and mechanical systems law. The department also manages the state’s largest environmental fund, according to the state commerce website.

According to the report, titled “Be Bold: The Wisconsin Prosperity Strategy,” the Commerce Department has experienced frequent leadership changeover and has practiced only traditional methods to increase job creation while focusing on less important state issues.

“The job base of the state could be viewed as its most important asset, at least on a par with its natural resources and its public university system,” the report said.

Among other recommendations to jumpstart the economy, the report calls for a board filled with a majority of private-sector job creators.

The governor would appoint board members and the Legislature would approve them. According to the report, the board would then review all regulations affecting the business climate.

Job creation was a top priority during the previous election cycle for most candidates, and Walker was no exception, running largely on a promise to create 250,000 jobs.

Walker has also voiced plans to establish an emergency legislative session on jobs and to propose a series of pro-growth bills when he takes office Jan. 3.