Doyle reaches deal with labor unions, despite Walker’s requests

Gov. Jim Doyle’s administration reached a tentative agreement with six labor unions this weekend, despite requests from Governor-Elect Scott Walker that Doyle stop pursuing certain policy initiatives including labor contracts.

The administration agreed to labor union contracts with no pay increases Saturday that apply to thousands of state workers.

The agreements come just days after Walker asked Doyle’s administration to stop working to implement certain initiatives in the months before Walker officially takes office Jan. 3.

Walker wrote in a letter to Department of Administration Secretary Daniel Schooff requesting Doyle cease contract negotiations with state employees.

In light of the state’s fiscal situation – including a structural deficit of approximately $2.7 billion – Walker asked contract negotiations be suspended until Jan. 3 so they could be considered as part of the 2011-13 state budget.

In response, Schooff implied in a letter to Walker that the governor-elect did not have enough background knowledge on labor contracts as well as other initiatives.

“With respect to the specific items you mention, obviously you have not had the opportunity to be briefed on these items,” Schooff said.

In addition to halting labor negotiations, Walker asked that Doyle stop implementing the new health care law, refrain from making any new permanent hires and hold back on instating new administrative rules.

Walker also asked the Doyle administration to begin making plans to shift from bio-fuel to natural gas at the Charter Street Power Plant.

Although the Democratically-controlled Legislature is no longer in session, Doyle could possibly call a special session to approve the contracts.

DOA spokesperson Emily Winecke said the contracts still need to be approved by the Legislature to go into effect.

Although Walker requested Doyle hold off on labor contracts, the Wisconsin State Employees Union, one of the groups involved, was quick to point out Walker is not directly involved in the negotiations yet.

While union members experience a “high level of anxiety and consternation” whenever Walker mentions state employees and programs, the union said in a statement contract details cannot be changed before Walker takes office.

“We need to impress upon this Governor Elect that we won’t roll over; and we won’t BE rolled over by him or any other politician,” the union said in a statement to members about the status of the negotiations, prior to the agreements reached Saturday.

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.