High-speed rail project has even support, according to new polls

Whether calling it a boondoggle or an economic boon, Wisconsin political candidates have gotten plenty of verbal mileage out of discussing the proposed state high-speed rail project this election cycle.

However, new poll results show the majority of Wisconsin residents do not even plan to use the rail once it is completed, and less than half support the project itself.

According to a poll released Wednesday by St. Norbert’s College and funded by Wisconsin Public Radio, 60 percent of those polled said they would be very unlikely to use the high-speed rail service.

When it comes to general support of the rail project, Wisconsinites are split 50-50. Approximately 44 percent of those polled supported the project, while 55 percent opposed it, but with a margin of error of 5 percent, approval remains relatively evenly split.

Wisconsin is receiving $823 million of Recovery and Reinvestment Act stimulus funds for high-speed rail construction to connect its major cities to Chicago and eventually the Twin Cities, in a purported attempt to create jobs and fuel the economy.

City officials announced Wednesday Madison is receiving $950,000 in federal grant money for construction of its rail station, which will be located at Monona Terrace and will connect the city with Milwaukee.

Many Wisconsin Democrats have applauded the project, including Gov. Jim Doyle and Democratic governor hopeful Tom Barrett, as well as officials in Madison.

“I want to thank Governor Doyle for his incredible leadership in bringing high-speed rail to Madison and bringing the station to the Monona Terrace,” Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said in a statement.

Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott Walker has repeatedly come out in opposition to the rail project, labeling it a “boondoggle” and going so far as to say if elected, he will ask the federal government to use the high-speed rail funds for other infrastructure projects.

“Scott Walker will end this train if elected governor,” Walker spokesperson Jill Bader told The Badger Herald.
Doyle has said the money is specifically earmarked for high-speed rail
and if Wisconsin returns it, it will be given to another state.