Supreme Court office reopens sexting DA case

The Office of Lawyer Regulation reopened the case of the Calumet County district attorney accused of “sexting” an abuse victim Friday after the Department of Justice asked the office to reconsider their decision last week.

The OLR originally closed the case in March without finding DA Ken Kratz guilty of professional misconduct.

Kratz, 50, admitted to sending 30 text messages of a sexual nature to Stephanie Van Groll, 26, in October while prosecuting Van Groll’s boyfriend for strangling her.

“OLR has done the right thing,” Attorney General J. B. Van Hollen said in a statement. “(This) announcement shows that OLR has listened to these concerns and is willing to give the allegations against District Attorney Kratz the attention they deserve.”

The OLR decided to reopen the case because significant new information had been received that could show a pattern of misconduct, said Keith Sellen, director of the OLR, in a statement.

Sellen also said the OLR will be investigating all allegations against Kratz, not only the incident involving Van Groll.

Two other women have come forward alleging Kratz had inappropriate contact with them, including a law student who said Kratz sent her sexual text messages while advising her on a pardon for a drug charge and a woman who said Kratz invited her to an autopsy as his date.

Although the DOJ has insisted the initial investigation of Kratz’s behavior did not fall within its jurisdiction, Van Hollen’s office has still taken fire over the fact the incident did not come to light for 11 months until the AP broke the story in September.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin called for a probe into Van Hollen’s handling of the situation, while Rep. Therese Burceau, D-Madison, also requested an audit of the OLR last week. Kratz went on indefinite medical leave Sept. 20 but has refused to step down as DA.

Gov. Jim Doyle started the process to remove Kratz from office Wednesday.

The DOJ is asking anyone with further information regarding illegal activity, sexual harassment or professional misconduct by Kratz to contact the Division of Criminal Investigation.