Michelle Obama to appear at Feingold event

Michelle Obama is coming to Milwaukee Oct. 13, hot on the heels of her husband’s upcoming visit to Madison, the White House announced this week.

The news comes as the University of Wisconsin gears up to welcome President Barack Obama on campus Tuesday.

The First Lady is coming to Wisconsin to show support for incumbent Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., in his increasingly competitive race against plastics millionaire Ron Johnson.

Further details about the Milwaukee event are not yet available, such as the cost to attend and whether it will be open to the public.

Michelle Obama will be stumping for Democratic candidates in eight contested Congressional races this month in six swing states, according to the White House.

Last week’s Rasmussen poll awarded Johnson a hearty six point lead over Feingold, while other September polls have given Johnson an even bigger lead, although the Feingold campaign has disputed the accuracy of these polls.

The Feingold campaign maintains the race is still equal.

As the tides appear to potentially be turning in Johnson’s favor, Feingold’s campaign welcomes the First Lady to Milwaukee.

“We look forward to her visit and appreciate her support,” John Kraus, a spokesperson for Feingold, said in a statement. “With early voting starting in Wisconsin Oct. 4, this will be a big boost to our get out the vote efforts.”

Michelle Obama’s fundraising tour comes as recent campaign finance reports show Johnson has outspent Feingold by $300,000 so far.

As of Aug. 25, Johnson spent $4.5 million while Feingold shelled out $4.2 million on their respective senatorial campaigns.

Additionally, Johnson is not without his own big name endorsements. The Republican vying for Feingold’s seat has already gathered the support of Wisconsin’s three Republican Congressmen Jim Sensenbrenner, Tom Petri and Paul Ryan.

Along with fundraising for Feingold, Michelle Obama will also be appearing to fundraise for Illinois Senate candidate Alexi Giannoulias as well as three other candidates in Illinois.

The First Lady is scheduled for stops in California, Washington, Colorado and New York in addition to Wisconsin and Illinois.

Not to be left out, Vice President Joe Biden will also be in Madison Oct. 7 for a fundraiser for Democratic gubernatorial nominee Tom Barrett.