Recounts scheduled for 2 primary races

Recounts in two Assembly districts are scheduled for this week, following delays after a candidate in one district could not be located, a spokesperson for the Government Accountability Board said Tuesday.

Tyler August, the 32nd Assembly district nominee, which covers much of Southern Wisconsin, requested on Sept. 20 a recount of the votes from the entire 32nd Assembly District, according to the petition signed by August and sent to the GAB.

Recount procedure requires the GAB to send a notification announcing the recount to all candidates involved. Until all candidates successfully receive the notification, the recount cannot start, GAB spokesperson Reid Magney said.

The recount was scheduled for Tuesday, but Walworth County Sheriff’s deputies were unable to find candidate Adam Gibbs, the apparent winner of the district’s Republican primary by four votes. Because Gibbs was missing, he never received an official notification, and officials delayed the recount until Wednesday.

There was a possibility the recount could have been delayed until Saturday, but Gibbs was located Tuesday afternoon and agreed to accept the notification documents.

“As of [Tuesday] afternoon, Gibbs has decided to come to the county clerk’s office and will be served the notification,” said Magney.

Gibbs said he was not avoiding the recount, but was spending time in Madison speaking with “mentors and visiting friends.”

“They sent me the notification over email, but I didn’t receive it until after I’d left for Madison. I was out of contact,” Gibbs said.

Despite his period of absence, Gibbs said he has no problem with the recount and looks forward to it.

As long as the recount is done as according to the law, Gibbs said he is excited to prove his nomination.

“I think with the way electronic voting goes, it’s very accurate and it’s very unlikely it will be overturned,” Gibbs said. “There has never been an election in the past ten years that has been overturned, even on a less than two-vote margin.”

Although August claimed on his petition there was a mistake with the entire 32nd Assembly district voting system, Magney had not heard of any problems or irregularities in Walworth and Kenosha counties, which comprise the 32nd District.

The 32nd Assembly district recount will take place Wednesday and Thursday

Another recount is scheduled in the 45th Assembly Thursday and Friday, assuming no more “anomalies” like a missing candidate occur, said Magney. The 45th includes Beloit and the surrounding area.

The recounts must be finished by Sept. 27, according to GAB stipulations.

If the recounts are completed by the deadline, Magney claimed there should be enough time to prepare and send absentee ballots to Wisconsin citizens and military personnel overseas.

A new voting law requires residents and military members currently overseas must be given a minimum of 45 days to return their ballots.

An agreement between the U.S. Department of Justice and Wisconsin requires the state to send out ballots by Oct. 1, a date Magney hopes will not be compromised by the recounts.

“The recounts will take as long as they take,” Magney said. “We would hope it could be wrapped up in a couple days, if not sooner. We hope to get the ballots out on time.”