Walker announces job session if elected

Republican nominee for governor Scott Walker said Monday his first task as governor, should he be elected, would be to create an emergency legislative session on jobs.

“I’ll call the legislature in for a special session and not let them out until they pass a plan to help small businesses create jobs,” Walker said.

The emergency jobs session is a part of Walker’s campaign promise to create 250,000 jobs in Wisconsin.

Walker’s plan consists of lowering taxes on small businesses, curbing “frivolous” lawsuits that drive up prices and doing away with the state tax on Health Savings Accounts, according to the statement.

However, with job creation being a core focus for the upcoming November election, Walker is not the only gubernatorial candidate with a plan for jobs.

Democratic nominee Tom Barrett discussed this issue months ago and laid out a comprehensive plan to create jobs, said Phil Walzak, spokesperson for Barrett’s campaign.

Mike McCabe, executive director of Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, said there is no doubt every politician on both sides is trying to stimulate the economy and create jobs.

Candidates also make bold claims while being pretty thin on details, McCabe said.

“A lot of candidates, including candidates for governor, talk about creating hundreds of thousands of jobs, but I have yet to see a concrete plan that creates a road map for getting to that goal,” McCabe said.

The actual details to improve the current unemployment rate will not be discussed until after the election when politicians are forced to go beyond their campaign promises, McCabe said.

Walker said his plan focuses on an issue that is a top problem for many Wisconsin families.

“Without question, the top concern for families across Wisconsin is the economy,” Walker said in a statement. “[Families are] concerned about losing their jobs, about paying their bills and about caring for their families.”

Walzak doubted Walker’s commitment to this most recent promise to create jobs, though.

“Voters can’t trust him when it comes to anything, even creating jobs because he will say and do anything to get elected,” Walzak said.

Barrett’s plan to combat unemployment focuses on core principles, such as applying tax cuts to job creations and overhauling the department of commerce, Walzak said.

People have to look at the details of what Walker and Barrett really want to do with proposing more jobs and making Wisconsin more attractive to bring in businesses, said Jay Heck, executive director of Common Cause in Wisconsin.

“Whether you have a special session on jobs or just a regular session on jobs, [unemployment] is going to be one of the first priorities,” Heck said.

Even as the candidates spar over job creation concerns, there are other problems they could be focusing on, Heck said.

The unemployment rate in Wisconsin is high, but it is two points lower than the national average, and Wisconsin has other important issues besides jobs, like taxation, Heck added.