Online organ donor registry going strong

Wisconsin’s online organ donor registry now boasts more than 10,000 possible organ donors in the month since the website was launched, and the numbers continue to rise steadily.

The online registry allows Wisconsin residents to give legal authorization to donate their organs, unlike the orange sticker that can be found on many potential donors’ driver’s licenses. The orange donor sticker only shows that an individual is willing to donate their organs, tissues and eyes, but does not actually authorize a hospital to take them.

In a post-mortem situation, doctors require a legal authorization from another source, usually family members.

“With the new registry, professionals can look up individuals and get a legal declaration; this removes decisions from family members while they are still grieving from their loved ones,” said Kathy Schultz, senior marketing consultant of UW hospitals clinics, on behalf of Donate Life Wisconsin.

As of March 29, individuals who registered at the DMV will be automatically placed in the online registry. Individuals who got their orange sticker at the DMV previous to this date, however, will not be on the online registry and therefore have no legal declaration to donate their organs. According to Schultz, this number amounts to about 2.5 million Wisconsin residents.

“Being a donor is the most charitable act that one human being can do for another. We are so grateful for the 2.5 million individuals with an orange sticker, but we need everyone to go to the registry,” Schultz said.

Currently there are 45 other states with an online registry. According to Schultz, Wisconsin has a really strong history of donation and is following other states that have seen success with the registry.

“The governor and I are so proud of Wisconsin’s generous and giving record,” Wisconsin’s First Lady Jessica Doyle said in a press conference inaugurating the online registry on March 29.

According to Doyle, Wisconsin is the national leader in donation, with over 50 percent of all adults in the state showing their willingness to donate with an orange sticker on their license.

Doyle said the website will make things much easier and better because timing is very critical in these types of situations. More than 105,000 people nationwide and 1,500 people in Wisconsin are in need of organ donation.

Schultz said that she is very happy about the registry obtaining more than 10,000 individuals; however, 10,000 is still a relatively small number compared to the 2.5 million people in Wisconsin with a sticker.

With virtually no advertising budget, Schultz said the registry and Donate Life Wisconsin is counting on word of mouth, media, large events and other venues to get the word out about the online registry.

One event coming up that may help spread the word is the 2010 National Kidney Foundation U.S. Transplant Games, which will host a 5K Run/Walk for organ, tissue and eye donation.

Those interested in organ donation can visit the online registry at Yesiwillwisconsin.com.