Milwaukee joins Google Fiber contest

Milwaukee is currently in the process of applying for the Google Fiber project — a program to extend high-speed Internet access provided by Google across a city — joining the ranks of Madison, Appleton and Marshfield.

Google has said the high-speed technology will provide Internet service reportedly 100 times faster than regular access, and they plan to invest around $97 million in the community chosen for the project. Communities must apply by March 26 to be eligible.

Google said the plan would affect 50,000 to 500,000 people. Not all communities across the nation that apply will be granted the technology.

Spokesperson for the Milwaukee Common Council Jim Owczarski said Google is waiting to see what kind of a response they get before they determine how many communities to choose for the project.

Owczarski said Milwaukee applied for the technology because it believes it has a number of the qualities Google is looking for in its suitors.

Owczarski added Google is looking for communities of manageable size, which Milwaukee is believed to be. Google is also looking for diversity in Internet activity. Milwaukee has many areas with high levels of use, but there are also many “deserts,” or areas with low levels of use.

“We have a strong infrastructure and an underground conduit (a piping system used for electrical wiring),” Owczarski said.

According to Owczarski, Google is looking for this to be a one-year development, and Milwaukee believes it can help Google achieve this goal.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said in a Feb. 12 blog post Madison’s approximately 225,000 citizens would be ideal candidates for the technology.

Mark Evans, Director of Technical Services of Madison school districts, previously told The Badger Herald getting the nod from Google would potentially boost opportunities for the entire community.

“Google will also consider rural areas. Urban communities will not necessarily be the automatic winners,” Owczarski said.

He added Google’s main principle is to demonstrate the economic viability of high broadband, proving the current Internet providers are not fast enough.

Professor of telecommunications at the University of Wisconsin Barry Orton said the project would be beneficial in that it would presumably increase the amount of fiber available to public institutions.

However, Orton said it is a very long shot that Madison will be chosen by Google. He said the downside to the application process is that it could result in a waste of time and energy.

“I would rather we take all of the money we would have spent on this and use it on lottery tickets,” Orton said.

Although he hopes Milwaukee is chosen by Google, Owczarski said he would not be upset if Madison or any other community in Wisconsin were involved. According to Owczarski, the project will create a lot of potential for job creation and development for the community chosen by Google.

Owczarski said this project has the potential to be “the Willy Wonka golden ticket.”