State ranks 49th in public health funding

State governments have cut roughly $392 million from public health funding over the past year, with Wisconsin ranking 49th among the states for highest per capita funding, according to a study released Monday by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

The recession has had a major effect on both state and local public health budgets, according to the report. The effects of these budget cuts have caused health providers to struggle to provide basic disease prevention.

Across the nation, state funding for public health averages at $28.92 per person. Wisconsin ranked 44 out of the 50 states, at just $10.23 per person after cutting more than $1 million in funding.

Both the Health Resources and Services Administration and the U.S. Center for Disease and Control Prevention devote at least 75 percent of their budget to states, public and private health care providers, as well as health profession training programs, the report said.

According to the report, the funding from the CDC has declined roughly $1 billion since 2005, resulting in an average of $15.98 per person in Wisconsin lower than the national average of $19.23 in 2009. The dollars from the HRSA to Wisconsin citizens average out to $16.26 per person, whereas the national average is $24.71 in 2009.

Julie Willems Van Dijk, spokesperson for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, said public health improvements should not come solely from more funding. She added they begin on the local level through actions taken to involve a community, such as building bike trails or walk paths to encourage physical activity.

In states where weather could prevent such activities, a similar plan like opening school gyms for later hours can be used. In addition to increasing physical activity, communities should have and encourage healthy food outlets, she added.

University of Wisconsin professor of population health sciences Thomas Oliver said the state government has not devoted enough resources to public health spending.

He said he thinks it is time we start allocating some resources away from those who have already developed sicknesses while still taking care of them to turn our focus to early prevention of these injuries.

Thomas added building safer environments and making wiser health decisions could accomplish this.

He said the local governments should work hand in hand with non-profit community organizations to educate people about these diseases, encourage better diets and ultimately get ahead of health problems early to both prevent and prepare for them in the future.

Although the majority of public health funding comes from state and local levels, the report stated, it is the responsibility of the federal government to make sure all levels of government are able to provide essential public health services.

The report recommends above all other necessary forms of action to turn the tide in public health support, funding levels need to be increased. It is not about a one-time funding, but rather a long-term objective of increased funds.