Hearing to examine ability to remove Wood

An Assembly ethics committee will have a public hearing Wednesday on whether they have the authority to remove Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, from the Legislature.

Wood has been charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated five times, with three arrests occurring within the last year.

In Jan. 2009, Wood was charged in Columbia County with an OWI and possession of drug paraphernalia. In September, he was arrested in Marathon County for suspicion of driving under the influence of prescription drugs and cold medicine. His third arrest came last October, when Wood was charged with driving under the influence of an intoxicant or other drugs and bail jumping.

“Continued service by Rep. Wood is no longer compatible with his oath of office and the reasonable social norms of expected behavior for a member of the assembly,” the Assembly resolution to expel Wood reads. “He continues to deal with his personal conduct issues that frequently lead to dangerous behaviors that jeopardize his life and the life of innocent citizens.”

University of Wisconsin political science professor Barry Burden said the offenses have serious implications for his role in the Legislature.

“There have been multiple offences,” Burden said. “He clearly has issues with substance abuse that are getting in the way of his life, and his best option would be to step down.”

However, Burden thinks whether or not the committee has the authority to kick out Wood is a moot point since he plans to resign at the end of this year. Normally, the voters take care of situations similar to this, Burden said

In addition, Burden said he believes Wood could possibly regain his reputation once he seeks treatment and demonstrates to the public and the political parties he has successfully completed treatment.

According to Burden, it is rare for the Legislature to kick out a member. In the past, one member was removed from office before Wisconsin became a state, and another member was removed about 100 years ago.