Report finds some homeless individuals have fines in excess of $10,000

Equal Opportunities Commission received report on 32 vulnerable individuals
Sara Warden

A community activist presented a report on arrest warrants and excessive fines for the chronically homeless to the Equal Opportunity Commission Thursday.

Brenda Konkel, homeless advocate, presented a report to the EOC on 32 homeless people who together had 378 warrants issued against them. A key problem for these individuals is a lack of awareness of fines and warrants, Konkel said.

Konkel, who retrieved and drafted the report, said the 32 individuals represented a particularly vulnerable segment of the homeless population. She said the group is comprised almost entirely of people over the age of 40, and many have mental and physical health illness.

“These are the people no one wants to deal with,” Konkel said

In addition to the warrants, a considerable number have outstanding fines worth more than $10,000, Konkel said. After speaking with a handful within the group, Konkel said she discovered all were surprised and disheartened at hearing the total amount of fines they had accumulated.

Because these individuals have no mailing address, the only notification they receive is during the initial citation, Konkel said.

Brian Austin, Madison Police Department central district lieutenant, said the fines are handed out only in cases where the offender has a long history of offenses. Konkel said these warrants have no deterrent effect since the recipients are unaware a warrant has even been issued.

MPD officers working the central district, where most of these people reside, are aware of the issues faced by those without a home, Austin said. The offenses that generate the fines usually consist of fighting, trespassing and retail theft, he said.

The fines can be paid off by spending time in jail, which pays off $100 dollars per day, Austin said.

Committee members discussed the need for MPD officers to be better prepared to help these individuals and the need for intervention when a warrant leads to jail time. One suggestion for police to better interact with these individuals would be to notify officers of the vulnerable individuals so may take extra care to be non threatening.

Committee member Moriah Grace said advising these individuals of a court date is not enough.

“These people don’t have agendas,” Grace said.

The use of impromptu court hearings to ensure the individuals can be connected to resources through the courts was also discussed. This would entail officers taking individuals to court when they are encountered on the street.

Committee members ended by referring the issue to the executive council for discussion.