County executive announces $572 million 2016 budget

Budget focuses on creating partnerships to improve mental health services, reduce disparities
Herald File Photo

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi announced plans for the 2016 budget Thursday morning.

The budget, titled “Blueprint for Opportunity,” totals more than $572 million. The Dane County reserve funds a total of $25 million, the entirety of which was built up since Parisi took office in 2011, according to a release.

“This budget reflects our community’s shared values,” Parisi said in the statement. “It approaches our challenges together as shared responsibilities. And this is how Dane County will continue to be a leader in innovation — through collaboration.”

The budget will highlight efforts to increase the mental health services available in the county, create affordable housing and encourage the success of the Access to Opportunity initiative designed to provide equal opportunity to all residents.

According to the release, affordable housing developments use $750,000 to help increase access to affordable housing. Additionally, the budget will set aside $260,000 to create an Office of Equity and Inclusion designed to further the Access to Opportunity initiative.

Dane County Housing Authority overwhelmed by need for affordable housing

More than $350,000 will be dedicated to increasing the availability of mental health services in the county. This money will be divided up into several different projects, including creating mobile community crisis mental health teams, a mental health broker and housing position and school-based mental health teamsaccording to the release.

Many of these projects are based in partnerships, allowing the county government to extend their influence in new directions. Parisi emphasized the importance of partnerships in creating a budget. He said in the release that by working alongside other organizations in the community, the county government increases its capacity for creating change in the community.

“It is imperative partnering be our priority,” Parisi said in the statement. “There is only so much any one entity can effectively do. I developed my budget for 2016 with a focus on identifying partners that when teamed with the resources of county government could accomplish the greatest amount of good for the people we work for.”