Man suffers life-threatening blow outside Red Rock Saloon

A 45-year-old man suffered life-threatening injuries after he was punched then hit his head on the ground outside Red Rock Saloon early Friday morning, according to a police incident report.

Madison Police spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the incident likely occurred after an exchange inside the saloon.

“There had been an altercation or argument between several people and the person who was injured,” DeSpain said.

The argument continued outside the bar, where the victim was punched and then fell to the ground, striking his head on the sidewalk, the police report said.

The victim was found lying on the ground outside Red Rock Saloon at around 2 a.m., DeSpain said.

Shortly thereafter, several persons of interest were stopped on Mineral Point Road after information from a witness helped identify the vehicle, DeSpain said.

“We had at least one witness who saw a particular vehicle leaving the area,” DeSpain said.

The occupants of that vehicle are “currently being questioned,” the police report said, but no arrests have been made yet.