Four burglaries reported on West Mifflin Street

Residents of four separate homes on the 500 block of West Mifflin Street reported burglaries to the Madison Police Department after noticing property missing in their homes Sunday morning in what police believe are connected incidents.

In each case, the burglars stole electronics, money and other items, according to a statement from MPD. The burglars entered through either unlocked doors or windows at each home, the statement said.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the victims woke up and noticed electronics and other items were missing. DeSpain said burglars sneaking into a home while residents are sleeping is a very common scenario in residential burglaries.

DeSpain said all four of the crimes were likely connected since the robberies occurred around the same time and on the same street block. However, because none of the residents saw the burglars in their homes, he said police cannot be certain if each burglary was committed by the same suspect.

“When we take a look at time and proximity. There is a strong likelihood they are connected,” DeSpain said.

All of the victims were student-aged, DeSpain said, although police reports do not indicate whether or not they were University of Wisconsin students.

Four residential burglaries were also reported on the 100 and 200 blocks of Langdon Street last weekend. In all of the cases the suspects entered through windows or unlocked doors while the victims were inside their homes. MPD did not release any descriptions or information about the suspects in those incidents.

DeSpain said it is difficult to say whether the burglaries on West Mifflin are in any way related to the burglaries on Langdon or other armed robberies and burglaries that have occurred in the campus area in recent weeks. DeSpain said because none of the victims saw the suspect or suspects, police do not have enough information to compare it to other crimes.

DeSpain said residents should take basic safety precautions in their homes, such as keeping their doors and windows locked, in an effort to deter crime.