Campus Candy closed as part of deal with developer

Frozen yogurt and candy shop, Campus Candy,is temporarily closing, likely as the result of several changes occurring on its block of State Street.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said Campus Candy is likely closing due to negotiations with the new developer of the block. Core Campus LLC  is redeveloping part of the 500 block of State Street with “the Hub”, a mixed use housing development that will sit on the site of University Inn and several other local restaurants. Verveer said Core Campus has been “redeveloping and updating” the tenants of University Inn for over a month, and including Campus Candy.

Campus Candy is a national chain, Verveer said, and all of the stores are undergoing changes. He said the store at the current location was most likely fine with losing their lease in their negotiations with Core Campus, due to the changes the stores are currently facing anyways.

“Campus Candy is a national chain, and Campus Candy is restructuring their stores nationwide,” Verveer said, “Its my guess that Campus Candy was fine with losing their lease.”

Verveer said although a sign outside the door says Campus Candy is closed temporarily he would not be surprised if it remained closed indefinitely.

Verveer said there were several other stores an restaurants on or near that block will be leaving as well. Jimmy John’s will move down State Street to its former location, Verveer said, and Tech Heroes will be moving to the west side of the city. Roast Public House also will be moving across the street to occupy the former location of S2 Pizza Bar, he said.

The Madison Campus Candy could not be reached for comment.