Freakfest features ‘biggest talent lineup’ to date

Freakfest 2013 will feature performances by Matt and Kim and Chiddy Bang at the Halloween-themed event on State Street, which promoters say will be the biggest in the event’s history.

A statement from True Endeavors said this year’s event on Oct. 26 “will feature the biggest talent lineup in the event’s history.” The lineup also includes Lucius, Sexy Ester, Watsky, F. Stokes and several local rappers on the Gilman Street Stage. Boy Blue, The Sharrows and Vic and Gab will be the WSUM Stage performers.

In addition to the three stages, Tag Evers, a True Endeavors promoter, said the Wisconsin Union Directorate is hosting a new event at the Orpheum. The event will be a VIP dance party hosted by DJ 3LAU as well as other local DJs, and attendees will have to purchase separate tickets to gain entry. Evers said ticket holders will be able to move freely between the Orpheum and Freakfest.

Evers said the Orpheum party would not compete with Freakfest because people will not be excluded from attending the State Street event.

“It will be a party right on State Street that will not be competing but complementing [our event],” Evers said.

Evers added there appears to be more university buy-in for the event this year, citing the addition of the WUD-sponsored party along with the WSUM-sponsored stage. He said the opening acts of the WUD party would also include local DJs.

Frank Productions is partnering with with True Endeavors to produce Freakfest.

Frank Productions President Fred Frank said the VIP party would be another opportunity for event-goers to see more performers and have fun.

He added the talent is more student-oriented this year, and they hope to see a good turnout from students at the event.

“We hope to have great weather and great turnout by the student body,” Frank said. “We hope to see some great costumes and everyone go out and have a good time.”

He said the goal is to draw a bigger crowd every year and include more events. Frank Productions has worked to create a safe and fun environment the last six years they have produced the event, Frank said. He also said the warmer the weather, the larger the turnout would likely be.

Besides the expanded lineup of events, Frank said Freakfest is also drawing more talented acts every year.

“It seems to me that Freakfest, every year, gets bigger and better,” Frank said.

Evers said Freakfest has become something “everyone can appreciate.” He said the event has come to embody what people are allowed to do on State Street, and that it is a safer alternative than the years before Freakfest, which were marked by riots.

Evers said an announcement will be made later this week to release the names of several other performers at the event.