Crime in Brief

College Court: Battery

Five or six college-aged men jumped a 19-year-old College Court resident Friday night around 11:30 p.m. after he refused to let the group into his apartment.

The victim said there were many different parties happening in the area, but he was in his apartment with a friend listening to loud music, according to a Madison Police Department statement.

The group of men entered the victim’s apartment, expecting a party, according to the statement.  When the victim informed the group there was no party in his apartment and told them to leave, they left reluctantly.

The group then began banging on the door, wanting to know why they had been asked to leave, the statement said. According to the statement, the victim went outside and got in a fight with one member of the group, which led to the entire group jumping him. He fell to the ground and was hit and kicked, and ended up going to a hospital and being diagnosed with a concussion, the statement said.

The victim did not call police immediately because he was unable to describe his assailants in detail, the statement said.

MPD Spokesperson Joel DeSpain said people should be cautious of who is entering their homes.

“People should be very aware of people coming into their parties that they do not know,” DeSpain said.

He said numerous crimes could take place when people open up their home to strangers.

East Washington Avenue: Robbery

A 34-year-old man reported he was robbed on the 3500 block of East Washington Avenue at approximately 8 p.m. Tuesday, after he had removed money from an ATM.

According to a Madison Police Department statement the victim withdrew money from an ATM and drove to a business on the 3500 block of East Washington Avenue. The victim said the suspect approached him and asked for cigarettes, and when the victim sad he had none the suspect demanded money.

The suspect reached into the victim’s pocket and took his money and ran away, the statement said.

According to the statement the victim said the suspect may have had a knife and did not check any of his other pockets.

DeSpain said the suspect of the alleged event has not been identified.