Crime in Brief

SUSPECT HOMICIDE UPDATE

Monona

No charges will be filed against officers involved in the fatal shooting of a kidnapping suspect Dec. 8, a statement from the Dane County District Attorney’s Office said.

The officer shot a suspect who accelerated a stolen vehicle into an occupied squad car.

“A vehicle can be a dangerous and deadly weapon,” the statement said.

Wisconsin law allows law enforcement to use deadly force in response to a genuine fear of deadly force, according to the statement.

ROBBERY

East Washington Ave.

Several downtown businesses on East Washington Avenue have been burglarized throughout the past few weeks.

According to an MPD report, a brick or rock was used to break the windows of the locations and money was stolen from cash registers and tip jars.

The Full of Bull Restaurant, 605 E. Washington Ave., was the most recent burglary in a series of robberies in the area, taking place on Wednesday evening.

“There are enough people walking around that we don’t see these smash and grab business burglaries around campus,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

ROBBERY

East Washington Ave.

An armed robbery took place at Red Letter News, 2528 East Washington Ave., Thursday evening.

The clerk was in compliance with the robber until a Spanish-speaking customer approached the counter. The customer was struck with the handgun after he failed to respond to the suspect’s demands, an MPD report said.

The report said the suspect is a male between 18 and 30 years old.

The suspect’s description has been seen in other recent incidents on the East Washington corridor, Despain said.

“We’re looking to see if the same person is responsible for several of these crimes,” DeSpain said.

SHOOTING

Dolores Drive

A suspect was apprehended in a shooting that took place on Dolores Drive Wednesday evening.

Daniel Beekman, 34, was arrested without incident after Madison Police officers were called to his home following reported shooting.

Officers suspected the man was inside his home when they arrived on the scene and released a 911-reversal call that warned the neighborhood there was possible danger.

The police contacted Beekman via telephone and were able to talk him down until he peacefully surrendered soon after.

No one was hurt in the incident.

ROBBERY AND SHOOTING

Hammersley Road

A 15-year-old male was arrested Wednesday in relation to a recent burglary and shooting.

The teen is charged with a reported burglary Nov. 15 in the 5900 block of Hammersley Road, an MPD report said.

A laptop, video games, and a pellet gun were stolen in the incident. The pellet gun was used in a shooting incident Nov. 22 when a woman tending to her plants was shot with a BB gun.

The teen was arrested when the stolen gun was recovered.

ROBBERY

Beld Street

Officers responded to a home invasion in the 1800 block of Beld Street Wednesday night, an MPD report said.

Police responded to a complaint after two male suspects – one armed with a handgun – confronted the residents.

The suspects ordered the residents to remain in their home and then quickly fled the scene without harming anyone.

The incident is not suspected to be a random act, the report said.