Ward commends new tuition policy

faculty-senate_KF
Interim Chancellor David Ward addresses members of the Faculty Senate Monday, explaining he created an independent review committee because of allegations against former UW Athletic Official John Chadima.[/media-credit]

University of Wisconsin Interim Chancellor David Ward gave support on Monday to a recent decision by the Legislature slated to move tuition policy power form the Wisconsin Legislature to the UW Board of Regents.

Ward said the regents are better suited to ensure student needs are addressed.
He added the Legislature might value public opinion and tax policy concerns more than they value individual student needs.

“When tuition is being considered in the Legislature, it is considered within the compounds of tax policy. … That’s not a good policy,” Ward said. “Twenty-first century tuition needs to be flexible. Need-based aid must be behind all tuition policy.”

He added the regents are better equipped to see that tuition policy relates to the needs of students. Regents also will not be able to change the actual amount of tuition costs, which Ward said could be a positive. 

Ward said Wisconsin representatives previously kept tuition cost within the Legislature because they were worried the Board of Regents might increase tuition.

“The legislature should trust the board to have good discourse on tuition policy,” Ward said. “In cases where states have high tuition, state support is down.”

Vice Chancellor for Administration Darrell Bazzell also presented Faculty Senate members with the Human Resource Design Project, which follows the Wisconsin Legislature’s decision to enable the creation of a new HR system at UW.

Bazzell said the new design seeks to better service the needs of UW by increasing efficiency, flexibility and responsiveness within the human resources system. Bazzell added this new design is aligned with UW’s mission and vision, which aims to make UW a model public university. 

There are 11 work teams that are focused on providing direction for structural and policy development within the HR system by expanding representation and expertise, Bazzell said. 

Ward also discussed new allegations brought against former Senior Associate Athletic Director John Chadima. 

While initially there was no evidence of a connection between the incident that occurred at the Rose Bowl, where Chadima reportedly sexually assaulted a male student employee, and a second allegation that surfaced Monday, Ward said he felt it necessary to create a second independent review board. He said he felt compelled to reopen the issue after another individual came forward, allowing a chance for other potential victims to come forward.

“I felt the need to reopen the case,” Ward said. “Post-Penn State, transparency is important.”

He concluded he intends to leave further investigation in the hands of the UW Police Department, legal experts and the independent review board. 

Agricultural and applied economics professor Brad Barham also made a motion that would place a non-voting student on the University Academic Planning Council, which advises the chancellor and provost on major academic program decisions. The decision will be voted on at the next Senate meeting next month.  

“Faculty get used to thinking of students as consumers in education, but students serve many functions in teaching and learning,” UW Department of Education assistant professor Noah Feinstein said. “I’m impressed with students for putting in the time, and they should have a concrete voice for their efforts.”