Two construction accidents hospitalize workers

A Memorial Union site construction worker was taken to the hospital this morning, as part of the the second construction accident in the City of Madison Feb. 15.

Two injured construction workers were transported to the hospitals from separate building sites after falling at their respective locations Friday morning.

A worker slipped off a beam at the Memorial Union construction site at 11:30 a.m, however his harness prevented him from hitting the ground. Just before, another man fell about five feet onto a roofing area at a construction site on West Doty Street at approximately 10 a.m. 

The Stevens Construction Corp. crane operator hoisted a MFD Stokes basket onto the roof at the 334 W. Doty St. construction site, the location of a new main Madison Public Library, and packaged the injured worker, who was conscious. MFD then lowered him to the ground and took him to Saint Mary’s Hospital, the statement said.

Less than two hours later, MFD Ladder 1 and Medic 1 went to 800 Langdon Street where the other construction worker was dangling from his harness. The Boldt Company construction coworkers lowered him to the ground and packaged him in a Stokes basket. The crane operator then brought him to ground for the ambulance to take him to UW Hospital, the statement said.

Neither injury was life threatening, according to a City of Madison statement. The City of Madison Fire Department took both workers to the hospital immediately after the accidents. Both were able to talk as medics put them into ambulances, MFD spokesperson Bernadette Galvez said.