UWPD arrests Madison man after several incidents in Witte Hall

Suspect is not associated with University of Wisconsin, according to UWPD
Riley Steinbrenner

The University of Wisconsin Police Department arrested a Madison man early Thursday morning following several incidents in Witte Hall, according to a UWPD incident report.

The suspect — David C. Clash-Miller, 22, from Madison — referred charges of two counts of disorderly conduct with a hate crime enhancer, an additional count of disorderly conduct, eight counts of bail jumping, one count of resisting arrest and one count of threats to a law enforcement officer.

A hate crime enhancer may be added to a charge when it is proven that a crime was committed because of the victim’s race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., according to the Wisconsin State Legislature website.

Clash-Miller is not associated with the University of Wisconsin, according to UWPD.

UWPD officers responded to a report at 12:30 a.m. about the suspect making threatening statements to an individual in Witte Hall. According to the report, he also made comments about the individual’s race.

From citizen to scientist: How anyone can advance scientific research

When officers arrived at the residence hall, Clash-Miller ran away and was chased for several blocks before UWPD officers took him into custody. Clash-Miller threatened the officers multiple times during the arrest, according to UWPD.

Recently, Clash-Miller has been involved in two other incidents at Witte Hall. Tuesday, Sept. 27, UWPD responded to a report of Clash-Miller making threatening statements to a House Fellow. Officers then learned of another incident which took place Monday, Sept. 6, where Clash-Miller made threatening statements to Spanish-speaking students playing pool. The students said they felt targeted because they spoke Spanish, according to UWPD.