President Biden to visit Madison Wednesday

Biden’s trip comes day after State of the Union speech
Rui Shen

President Joe Biden will travel to the Madison area Wednesday Feb. 8.

Vice President Kamala Harris and other Cabinet members will accompany Biden for the visit, which is part of a nationwide tour, according to AP News. During the tour, Biden will emphasize his successes in office, with a focus on the economy.

Biden will visit the day after giving his State of the Union on Tuesday Feb. 7 at 8 p.m. CDT, according to WKOW. The speech, which will address unfinished economic plans, comes during a time of national economic concern. A Pew Research study found seven in 10 Americans view inflation as the top problem facing the country today.

University Club reopens Union Commons

Despite high anxieties, the White House released an Employment Situation Summary on Friday which showed an unemployment rate of 3.4%, the lowest since 1969. According to the report, the U.S. added 517,000 total nonfarm payroll employment jobs in January. Efforts to combat inflation have also calmed, with the Fed raising by only a quarter percentage point last week. The hike in interest rates is the eighth increase in less than a year, according to NPR.

The State of the Union will also probably address child care, paid leave and other new spending initiatives, though it is unclear how the president will balance the topics in his speech, according to the New York Times.

Biden will arrive on in Madison around 11:35 a.m. Wednesday and speak at LIUNA Training Center in DeForest around 1 p.m., according to NBC15. He will then travel back to Washington D.C.

The president will then visit Tampa, Florida on Thursday, Feb. 9.

Editor’s Note: This article was updated to include the time and location of Biden’s visit to Madison.