Hit a wall? New artists to supplement your musical tastes

If you dug…

Mickey Avalon, you’ll dig Hoodie Allen – Born in Old Bethpage, NY, Hoodie Allen brings the same funny hooks and lively rhythms to the table that we all loved to hear in Mickey Avalon’s tracks like “Mr. Right” in the early 2000’s. The Jewish rapper’s name reflects his two most endearing qualities: He is entertaining as Woody Allen, and his sound is as comfortable and familiar as a hooded sweatshirt.  

MGMT, Vampire Weekend or Peter, Bjorn and John, you’ll dig Foster the People – Most likely known best for its single “Pumped Up Kicks” pumping up radio charts this summer, the band Foster the People pays homage to all three of these different but equally great indie boy bands. The similar sound is achieved through falsetto male vocals, confident guitar and drum playing, as well as heavy synth use in songs like “Houdini” and “Helena Beat.” 

Florence and the Machine, you’ll dig Zola Jesus – Although she is Russian, Zola Jesus was raised in Merrill, Wis., and trained as an opera singer. Like Florence, she leans heavily on strong vocal talents to guide her music. 

Liz Phair, The Beach Boys or She and Him, you’ll dig Best Coast – It’s difficult to describe Best Coast any way but through comparison; just know that if you ever find yourself on a road trip to California, this band should be featured on the traveling playlist. If The Beach Boys were young enough to have Zooey Deschanel or Liz Phair sing lead for them, the best possible result would sound exactly like Best Coast. 

Yeasayer, you’ll dig tUnE-YarDs – You’re going to have to look tUnE-YarDs up in order to even begin to get the gist of what they are all about.  But if Yeasayer is a square peg, then tUnE-YarDs must be a round hole of similar dimensions because they go together as much as any two groups could while still being so very different. If you think you might like psychadelic, rhythmic and above all experimental music, then step out of the schoolyard and into the the tune-yard. 

Kid Cudi, you’ll dig Skizzy Mars – It will literally take you three, maybe four, seconds to realize how much like Kid Cudi he sounds. When Cudi fans no longer feel like embracing the Martian or tire of being the man on the moon, they can fortunately hop over a few planets to Skizzy Mars.