Look, feel good while SERF-ing

There is a type of clothing that may not be a staple in everyone’s wardrobe, but should be: activewear. We all know the benefits of exercise, so there’s really no excuse not to be doing it. There are more activewear options than ever out there for both men and women, and although we might not always be looking our best with sweat dripping out of every pore, there’s no reason your outfit can’t look great.

As of right now, there are some common patterns for guys and girls hitting the gym. Guys tend to go with the basketball shorts and t-shirt. For girls, leggings or running shorts are popular bottoms, and tops vary from loose-fitting tees to the occasional tank top.

These are fine options, but I want to help you bump up your gym fashion sense, and become that SERF- or Natatorium-goer mentioned in the weekly shoutouts who looks “soooo goooood.”

Let’s start with the ladies. While old, loose-fitting tees are not constricting and keep the air moving, they aren’t the best choice. Form-fitting, breathable tops in nonabsorbent, athletic fabrics are both comfortable and deflect moisture, which prevents your clothes from getting too sweaty. In addition, such tanks and tees are great for any type of workout you choose: yoga, biking, running, lifting, or just about any cardio you can think of.

These days, besides just a variety of colors and patterns, there are endless varieties of straps and fits. Tanks that flare out a little bit from the rib cage are becoming very popular.

As for bottoms, form-fitting pieces are best. If you prefer a long pant, try one that fits like a legging. Yoga leggings are acceptable, although a fabric that is moisture-wicking will be a lot cooler. Stay away from regular leggings! These shouldn’t be worn to the gym; they should be worn casually out and about with a top that covers certain areas.

Tight-fitting capris and shorts of that nonabsorbent material are also excellent alternatives. Choose a length based on your personal preference, and stick with a neutral color like grey or black, so you can pair it with whichever color top you want.

For women’s activewear, lululemon, Athleta and Lucy are great places to look. These sellers have designed their clothing specifically for athletic activities, but also have fashion in mind. They have a wide variety of tanks, shorts and pants in all different lengths. Although some items can get a bit pricey, they are worth the investment. They are durable, and will do the job for which you need them. Comfortable, cute, durable and functional workout gear is very important. And, hey, it might even motivate you to work out more.

As for men, there unfortunately isn’t quite as much variety as there is for women. Rather than always relying on that old baggy t-shirt from high school, try a more fitted, lightweight and breathable shirt. Greys, blacks, blues and an occasional red will all look great if you are trying to impress while breaking a sweat.

It takes a pretty confident guy or a pretty serious runner to wear yoga leggings, so if you are interested in pants, look for more of a sweatpant fit. Again, try to stick with the moisture-wicking material. Cotton just absorbs sweat and leaves your clothes wet, so try to avoid that as much as possible.

With shorts, style and fit are all about preference. If you want to be a little more fashion-conscious, stick with a looser-fitting and longer pair. Basketball shorts will also work just fine.

For men’s activewear, Under Armour, The North Face and lululemon have a variety of items that will leave you looking and feeling good at the gym. Guys, don’t be intimidated to shop at lululemon – ignore the name and check out the high-quality stuff they have. It will be worth it, I promise.

If you must work out outside in the winter, make sure you have enough clothing on. Thermal-insulated long-sleeved tops are a great option, as well as wind-resistant and warm pants. Thinner fleece or spandex jackets can also be a helpful addition because you want to stay away from bulky jackets that will be uncomfortable and heavy.

For shoes, Nike’s Frees have become quite popular. They come in a variety of bright colors and are very lightweight and comfortable. However, for those seriously into running, look for something different. There isn’t a ton of support for your feet, so if you’re going to be exercising a lot, find a shoe with plenty of cushion.

From a fashion standpoint, pick a pair of shoes that comes in a color and design you like. Most importantly, an exercise shoe must be one that will serve your individual fitness needs.

Yes, it may be hard to encourage yourself to make the trip to the SERF, especially as it gets colder and nothing sounds better than just curling up in your bed. However, treat yourself to a new (and fashionable!) activewear outfit, investing in the hope that motivation will come a little easier.

Emma Austin is a junior majoring in journalism. Send comments, questions and column ideas to [email protected].