Fabulous and Broke debunks fashion myths, misconceptions

In the weeks when there is so much ambiguity surrounding the weather, I thought I would try to clear up some confusion (Which season are we currently in the middle of anyway? Fall? An abnormally sleety summer?). Weather and Climate wasn’t my thing, so I can’t tell you what the temperature will be tomorrow or a week from now, but I can decipher some of those fashion myths and questions to which no one ever seems to have a concrete answer.

Fashion Myth #1: You can’t wear white after Labor Day.

In the fashion world, this rule has been more or less invalidated. Colors really don’t have to coordinate with the calendar anymore, and it is perfectly fine to throw in a white ensemble even as the weather gets colder. However, there are some cautions I would take when trying to incorporate it.

First, make sure the outfit or piece is seasonally appropriate; a strapless white mini-dress in the middle of October might not be the best choice here in Wisconsin. However, white tops, skirts, jackets, shoes and other dresses can still look great even in the fall and winter.

But I would be careful with the shade as well – those neon-white colors (the ones that sort of match the snow) are probably better to stay away from. Choose a warmer shade, maybe more of an off-white to wear. Fabrics are also important; heavier fabrics like wool tend to work better and make your whites more acceptable. And if you choose to sport a white dress or skirt, make sure your shoes and accessories fit the weather – everyone should know that you know it is indeed winter.

Fashion Myth #2: Don’t mix prints and patterns.

Okay, so you have to be careful with this one. It may be a little more difficult to do, but it will definitely make you stand out. Feel free to mix patterns like stripes and dots, argyles and plaids, or whatever you think looks good together. Take a chance to show your individuality and what you think works.

It comes off as somewhat of an unintentional look, but for the very reason that it was in fact intentional, it can look fantastic. However, if you go too far out there with two very bright and busy prints, you might stand out just a little too much. Keep one of the pieces a little more subtle to make sure you aren’t noticed for the wrong reasons.

Fashion Myth #3: Always match your belt to your shoes or purse.

As patterns and fabrics become more and more sophisticated, this guideline has become a thing of the past. There are so many unique, fun bags and pairs of shoes out there that it has almost become impossible to match every piece.

Oftentimes, you want either your purse or fabulous new heel to make a statement, in which case don’t worry about trying to get everything to match. And you don’t want everything to match – you don’t really want people thinking you spent that much time getting dressed (effortlessly flawless, right?).

If you can, try to choose colors that are similar or are in the same family. For example, if you are wearing a blue top and have a bag that has just a bit of blue in it, try to find some shoes that have a touch of blue as well. But if you can’t, a neutral brown shoe will work just fine.

When in doubt, just use a classically neutral bag, belt or shoe – in most cases it will look great. Do, however, try to avoid pairing a black belt and brown shoe; that typically looks a little off, especially if they are similar tones. But, see Myth #4 to find out how to make black and brown work together.

The one major exception to this matching rule is if you’re dressing for a more formal event. In that case, matching can make you look a lot more sophisticated.

Fashion Myth #4: Never wear black with dark blue or brown.

I was told from an early age never to mix navy or brown with black, but as fashion choices are becoming a bit riskier and a little bolder, you can now mix even more colors than ever before, including these neutrals. In the past, these three shades were often considered too similar to wear together, but if you wear two or more of them in the right way there won’t be any problems.

First, try to choose shades with some sort of a contrast. For example, choose a camel brown pair of shoes and belt to mix with a black top or bottom. Or a bright, vivid navy top to wear with that black skirt. If, from a distance, you can’t tell the two colors are much different, I would advise trying a different combo.

Another option is to add bold-colored accessories to brighten up the look. These can also add to the contrast, making your outfit stand out in a great way.

Emma Austin is a junior majoring in journalism. Send questions, comments and column ideas to [email protected].