Fashion week models flaunt animal prints, boyish looks

Every year, I swear I’m going to find a way to get there and get into one of the shows. Maybe I will find some friend-of-a-friend or family member who miraculously has connections. Or I’ll win a contest. Something. But as another year comes around, I find myself yet again stuck in the Midwest rather than sitting front row at New York Fashion Week.

So, I’ve had to live vicariously through my Twitter feed, just pretending I’m actually there. But as of Sept. 15, New York Fashion Week has officially ended, and London Fashion Week has begun.

For those of you familiar at all with Fashion Week and fashion shows in general, the collections that are shown are not what is currently on the racks and shelves, but what is to come next season. In other words, the models were sporting all the latest trends and styles the designers will debut for the spring.

As your fashion columnist for the semester, I have been dutifully following the goings-on in New York City, and would like to share them with you. Some of you might be skeptical – “Aren’t the collections for spring”? And while you would be absolutely right, I’ve noticed some trends that are absolutely applicable and relevant to a fall and winter wardrobe.

Thus, I will take a little of what I’ve witnessed, tweak it ever so slightly and give you some tips and ideas of how to make your colder-weather wardrobe even more fabulous.

One element many of this year’s designers adopted was animal print. I will be the first to admit this is a love of mine. Animal prints of all kinds can be a fierce and fun addition to any outfit. But don’t just get caught up on the tiger, cheetah and zebra prints – there are so many more that would be fun to experiment with.

Peacock or alligator, for example. I’m not saying you need to find actual alligator skin accessories, but a faux alligator print or material is just as awesome. While some collections featured real animal clothing materials, I think for a college student going to class or out to dinner, that might be just a little much (and not to mention quite a bit above an average budget).

One thing I love is embracing these animal prints through accessories, such as flats, jewelry or maybe a clutch. They won’t overwhelm your look but will definitely make a statement.

I do have a warning, however, if you’re up for the challenge of getting a little wild with your wardrobe – be cautious of the animal print accessories that look cheap. If you’re looking to save money, be careful not to sacrifice the style. It’s not impossible to find inexpensive animal print items (not at all!) but just be skeptical.

Especially if you’re shopping online, you must be cautious if you want your items to look like they’re of good quality. Some sites I’ve found abundant with cute, classy and somewhat inexpensive accessories are www.asos.com and www.topshop.com.

Another one of my favorite new trends shown on the runways is prints. I’m ready to admit I am obsessed with black, and I have more than enough solid color tees, but I’m so excited to see prints becoming more acceptable to incorporate into your wardrobe. They can be tricky, but I see no reason as to why everyone can’t rock a printed dress or top if they want.

Polka dots, floral and unique patterns on dresses, tops, skirts and suits were just some of the hits on the runways. But while the looks shown at NYFW were able to utilize summery colors and designs, you might want to stick to somewhat deeper and darker colors for the fall and winter. Rich reds, blues, greens and purples can make for some gorgeous frocks, as long as the patterns aren’t too overwhelming.

And, in quite a different direction, boyish and sporty looks are making their way back. Oversized suits, relaxed trousers and athletic-inspired designs were popular with this year’s designers. Personally, this is a little bit harder of a look for me to embrace. I’ve always been into more feminine styles, however, I am eager to branch out and experiment with pieces that are slightly more masculine – the idea is to accentuate a person’s natural femininity by contrasting with her male-inspired clothing.

If you’re still a little hesitant to throw on something a little more boyish, find ways to maintain that feminine look; if your pants or top are sportier, try juxtaposing something girly to go along with it. For example, throw on a string of pearls or a killer heel for a new effect. Don’t forget about your hair, too – a fun and flirty hairstyle can be the perfect complement to a more masculine blazer.

I hope these insights gave you a little hint into what was hot on the runways, and what will be popular once these trends hit the stores. To be a step ahead, try take some of these ideas and start incorporating them into your wardrobe now! And although following the action on Twitter may be fun (who am I kidding – it’s not fun, it’s my only option), I will make it to Fashion Week. Someday.

Emma Austin is a junior majoring in journalism. Send comments, questions and column ideas to [email protected].