Staying stylish, avoiding bulky looks as winter hits

It’s official: That warm summer weather is gone, and the sun sets before dinner time. Welcome back, Wisconsin winter. Although, for most of us, winter’s return isn’t welcome at all.

Before venturing out into the tundra for the walk to class, it is now essential to bundle up with multiple layers and gloves and scarves and boots. However, heavy clothing does not have to be ugly clothing. In today’s column, I want to give you some ways to still be stylish and feel good when the temperature creeps below zero.

For those of us who are lucky enough to experience months of frigid temps, the oversized sweaters we have been forced to wear due to the weather are very much in style. Chunky, neutral-colored pullovers are some of the hottest pieces for the winter. Pair one of these with a warm and comfy legging, a scarf and some boots for a cute and weather-appropriate look. If the sweater isn’t too big, add a belt to define your waist and prevent yourself from looking just a little too oversized on top. Sweaters can work for guys, too. Choose one that is a little more fitted, and pair with jeans.

If you are a bigger fan of thinner sweaters and cardigans, another trend is to layer them. Thinner knits can be worn together and not look bulky. In this case, try to stick with more subtle, solid colors so it doesn’t get too busy. If you can, try to stay with colors in the same family (reds and pinks, blues and teals, etc.). Your pieces will still fit under a jacket and keep you warm on those frigid mornings. Plus, once you’re sitting in class and starting to heat up, it is much easier to remove a layer here and there.

As for those boots I mentioned earlier, I have a couple suggestions. While it seems that a majority of girls on campus own a pair of Uggs, I personally don’t think they are the most appropriate option for the trek across campus. Why? Well, for me anyway, trudging through the snow soaks my boots, and gets my feet all wet almost immediately. And then, if you wear them when the snow gets a little dirty, so do the Uggs.

To combat this, I have several other ideas. Weird as it may sound, I love wearing my rain boots in the winter. I can walk through piles of snow and my feet will stay toasty warm. If you can, find a pair that has removable inserts or liners, whether they are suede or fur. With that addition, your boots can get wet, but your feet and legs will remain nice and warm. Water-resistant boots also work, and often you can find some that are actually cute.

While the knee-length puffy North Face parka is a staple for many girls on campus, some more unique coats are popping up this year. Fuzzy, textured jackets are very popular, which mix warmth and style all in one. Big woolen or furry coats will make the right kind of statement and won’t leave you worrying about whether you will be too cold.

To balance out a heavier jacket, pair it with some skinny jeans or leggings and some sleek winter boots, or some that are water resistant. Keeping your legs looking long and slim will prevent your look from becoming too oversized and baggy.

One way to really spice up your winter wardrobe is with scarves. While scarves can make an appearance in a spring or fall outfit, winter is when it is completely acceptable to wear one every day, and they are as popular as they have ever been. There are so many different colors, designs, patterns and fabrics out there to choose from, they can be a way to add a little fun to your wardrobe when the weather is bleaker than bleak.

When wearing more neutral-colored sweaters, try out a scarf with a bright and vivid color, or a unique pattern to really transform your look. In this case, a little can actually go a long way. Longer scarves and infinity scarves (circular scarves with no end that are looped around the neck for an easier and cleaner look) are also fun ways to spice up an outfit. Scarves in general are just a simple way to be functional and fun simultaneously.

Another trendy accessory, if you are feeling up to it, is a hat. Hats of every variety have been very popular on the runways, and they are a trend that can take your look to a whole new level. From knitted beanies to fedoras, hats are really a fun way to express your style, and keep your head warm. If you can, try a hat made of wool or another wintry fabric to prevent it from looking too summery.

While sweaters, boots, and scarves tend to be items worn every winter, I hope I’ve been able to provide some ideas about how to update them a little bit and make it all a little bit trendier. The weather may be pretty undesirable, but that doesn’t mean your wardrobe has to be – have fun with it this winter!

Emma Austin is a junior majoring in journalism. Send comments, questions and column ideas to [email protected].