Columnist reaches out to readers, occasionally wears yoga pants

Welcome back to school, fellow Badgers. I hope you found the return to Madison as longed-for and delightful as I did. It feels damn good to here.

Let me take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Emma Austin, and I am honored to be your fashion columnist for the semester. I am currently a junior majoring in journalism, and I’m hoping to slip in a Spanish major as well. I am originally from a suburb of Minneapolis, but I promise I am a Badger through and through. … well, except for the fact that you won’t ever catch me cheering on the Packers, but this is the ArtsEtc. section, so there is no need for sports talk.

First, let me make a quick confession: I own a pair of Sperry Topsiders, and more than one Longchamp tote bag (for those of you completely lost, they are those different colored bags with the brown leather handles that you see on the streets at least once a day), and I will, on occasion, wear a pair of yoga pants to class – I have an 8 a.m. power lecture, so I believe I deserve it once and a while. 

However, I can assure you I am a fashion junkie. I am obsessed with InStyle magazine, follow more than enough fashion “experts” on Twitter and could probably watch an entire season of ‘Project Runway’ in one sitting (okay, let’s be honest, I could more than easily do that … and might have in the past).

I vow to do everything I can not to lecture you on what to wear and list off what the latest trends are – that’s not my goal, nor is it the point of this column. I’m here to help you fully take advantage of your resources and make your own personal style the best it can be.

It seems to me that the typical UW-Madison student has three parts to his or her wardrobe: 1.) clothes to wear to class, whether that means jeans or, um…sweats, 2.) clothes to wear out at night and 3.) a stock of red apparel to wear for game day and to represent our school loudly and proudly. 

But I want to be the person to help you enhance each of these clothing groups to really make them your own and make you feel confident in whichever setting you find yourself. Yes, the clothing you wear to class should be comfortable, but does that really mean it can’t be stylish and fun at the same time?

I want to give you advice on what to wear in different situations and investigate what’s currently hitting the Fashion Week runways. I also want to explore how you can take those ideas, simplify them and improve your wardrobe in a way that’s all your own. I am constantly on the lookout for tips and ideas on where, when and how to shop or find the most unique items and will do my best to share the knowledge with all of you.

I also want to hear from all of you readers. I want your questions, comments, concerns, ideas or anything that might help to make this column better – I’m here for you, after all. Email me with fashion dilemmas or anything else you might need help with or advice for at [email protected], and I will be more than happy to solve your problems.

I want to do everything I can to prevent preaching to only one type of person – namely, girls just like me. There are thousands of unique students on this campus, and I want to do what I can to make my advice and ideas relevant to most, if not all of you. Therefore, be prepared to see some unique things in this column, and just go with it when I take some risks. Boring you is definitely the last thing I want to do, and I will do what it takes to get you to keep reading and enjoy it.

So remember, let me know what you want to read, and I will do what I can to make this column what you want.

Emma Austin is a junior majoring in journalism, and the new “Fabulous & Broke” weekly fashion columnist. Email her at [email protected] with column ideas and feedback.