Dressing up for the career fair-impaired

Every year I pull on a nice dress and a pair of heels to painfully walk to the Kohl center and spend the next 45 minutes of my life smiling till my face hurts. This is what I like to call the career fair.

At each booth you walk up to there is a quick one to two minutes where you are expected to convey to the recruiter how great you are and why they should hire you. From there your resume disappears into a pile of others behind their table, leaving you with little hope of getting a call back. The whole process is exhausting but can be beneficial if you put in some effort beforehand. This year I saw so many students completely fail to look like a good candidate to hire. One guy spelled his e-mail wrong and had an employer correct it for him. The next guy didn’t know one good thing to say when they asked him, “So what do you like about our company”? But out of all the terrible attempts I witnessed, by far the worst was how many people were inappropriately dressed. I couldn’t believe all of the short skirts and t-shirts I saw. I know that most boys don’t give a damn about how they look, but, students of Madison, please take five minutes to not pay attention in class and read the following tips about how you should look to give yourself a competitive edge.

I’ve heard that what you wear sets the tone of an interview. So, here are some tips I picked up talking to guys at the business school on what to wear to make a good impression (and they would know best).

1. Keep things subtle, yet classy. When picking out your suit, stick to navy blue or charcoal gray. A black suit screams “I’m going to a wedding or funeral.”

2. Don’t look like you are wearing a grocery sack. Ask your salesperson to measure you, or go to a tailor. The length of your suit will be “regular” if you are between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot, “long” if taller and “short” is if you are shorter than that.

3. The best time to get your dress shirt is when you buy your suit so they match. Go with a point collar and, if it’s transparent, choose to go with no undershirt – or a crewneck white top if you’re a hairy man. Don’t pick a V-neck, because the lines of the shirt will look cheesy.

4. The point of your tie should touch the waistband of your trousers, and stick to a silk striped one to keep it simple. Unless you’re a hardcore fashion lover, don’t try to pull off a skinny tie.

5. For shoes, stick with the oxford, otherwise forego the laces altogether and get a loafer. Remember to also always match your socks to your suit.

6. Finally, put your wallet on a diet. It should not be as fat as a burrito, so get rid of all the random crap filling it up (you don’t need it).

For women, conservative colors and styles win all battles in the professional world. Aim to buy a suit in black, navy or gray so you can mix and match the pieces with other outfits. Pick a clean blouse or shirt under a blazer or pair with a jacket if needed. Then pick either pants or a skirt, depending on what you feel most comfortable in. If you are wearing a skirt it should NEVER be shorter than above the knee or you’ll be pronouncing, “I like attention for the wrong reasons.”

From here I always accent the outfit with a pair of shoes that represent your personal style. After all, shoes are one of the few places your personality can shine through in these outfits. Don’t make them so high that they hurt to walk in, but try a pair that’s red or have a modern design to make yourself memorable. Make sure that you have on minimal jewelry and a neutral color of nail polish. For your hair, pull it back in a neat ponytail or at least keep your bangs out of your face so you’re not futzing with them while you talk. Also, try not to put on powerful perfume or stick to body spray if unsure. You’ll never know who you will remind the recruiter of with your scent, and you don’t want it to be their ex-wife. Finally, makeup should also look natural and polished, with light eye shadow and a coat of mascara.

After achieving this clean and polished look I have two last pieces of advice. In the words of Brian Regan, don’t say “you too” back to the interviewer when they tell you “good job” or “enjoy the rest of your year at Madison.” When in your interview, be excited and outgoing about the position and show your passion to get it. With your enthusiasm and newfound good fashion taste you’ll be landing a job in no time.