Greet summer weather with bright color, feminine accents

It’s like the flood gates were opened wide after spring break, and students were sent into a fury of anticipation for sandals and shorts, barbeques, mini-skirts and shirtless men. Seeing all of our peers tan and recovering from their PCB adventures after spring break hurled Madison toward the summer fashions earlier than ever. The problem is the ever-loved Wisconsin weather, telling us Mother Nature obviously has PMS, which changes from 80 degrees and sunny one day to 35 and light flurries the next. The upside is that the last month has been a fun fashion preview of what’s to come this summer. After a long and cold winter, we are all dressing to have fun. With finals looming and the realization of how much needs to get done before freedom, students want to wear playful and comfortable clothing that reflects the stress-free life we want to live.

A buzz word you’ll hear for both men and women this season is color. Pops of coral, pink, aqua, purple and yellow will spring up everywhere. Don’t overuse it; instead, just wear one piece that’s a bright color while keeping the rest of the outfit more neutral or a light pattern. It will not only grab attention but will make our boring winter wardrobes much more enjoyable to experiment with.

For women this summer, it’s all about the legs. When walking to class this week, a guy friend of mine said, “Finally skirt season has arrived. I love this time of year.” Skirt season seems like a mutually acknowledged time of year, and one that should be embraced. For women, try out this season’s popular floral dresses or wear a blouse tucked into a high waist skirt paired with a chunky belt to play up your feminine curves.

Summer will also be about comfort with soft and flowing materials. This means throwing on a brightly colored cardigan with your breezy dress to block any cool Wisconsin breeze. At lunches on the Terrace or out on State Street, go for sleeveless or cutout tops to achieve that foundation tan on our white Wisco skin. A relaxed patterned tunic is also a great idea to throw on over any swimsuit or a loose t-shirt with cargo capri’s when going to the beach or cookout.

With your day look, pile on the jewelry of all shapes, sizes and color this season. Try layering on several bracelets and keeping the neckline minimal if you’re wearing a busy shirt collar or wearing a statement necklace with a white t-shirt. If you’re feeling adventurous, try wearing a straw or linen fedora hat; it will accent any casual outfit and protect your face from harmful UV rays. On many Madisonian feet I’ve spotted gladiator (or Grecian) sandals with multiple leather straps on more bohemian looks and Sperry’s (or any boater shoes) on preppier outfits.

At night for a chic going-out look, take your outfit from day to night by just putting on a fancy black blazer and putting on some nicer wedges or heels. Pull your hair up into a bun or a poufed ponytail and minimize the amount of daytime jewelry or stick to your one statement necklace. Wrap a summer scarf in a fun pattern or bright color around your neck to keep you a bit warmer in the nighttime air, and bring along a clutch with tribal details or animal print.

Menswear this summer is about embracing that breezy Hamptons look and feel with loose and lightweight t-shirts, baseball caps and comfy sneaks. A major key is to always look a little undone, never completely coordinated. Have some fun this summer mixing different patterns and colors by layering a printed button down over a solid color v-neck tee. As for bottoms, be very wary of jean shorts. Get that wrong and a man will look like one person: my father, who pairs them with high white socks, sneakers and tucked -in shirts on family vacations. To stay safe, go with the cotton or khaki cargo shorts instead. If looking to try something new, pull on some printed shorts or linen pants in subtle colors to play up a going out look.

At night, don’t be afraid to pull on a button up cardigan. If you feel as a man this is too feminine for you, try going for a military inspired dark green jacket or casual blazer. A great new look this summer is the new modern gray sweatshirt (examples can be found at J.Crew or Club Monaco) that can be paired with slim khaki pants or black chinos and a plaid button down shirt. With these, look for the signature stitched v-notch at the collar that was actually first used to help it expand so that football players could wear their padding underneath.

For men’s shoes, leather sandals are always in style. This summer white sneakers are also very trendy and look good worn without socks. With jeans, don’t show more than the bottom anklebone. Also don’t be afraid to try out some simple jewelry. A simple piece, like one chain necklace or leather bracelet, will be enough but always adds some fun flavor to any outfit.

So realize this is no time to fuss over the perfect outfit, instead channel surf n’ turf style and enjoy summer’s effortless and sexy vibe.

Gina Jensen is a junior majoring in retail and is a wannabe Carrie Bradshaw. Send fashion faux pas and column ideas to [email protected].