‘La Moda’ celebrates exquisite craft

You are cordially invited to attend the 2011 La Moda Processa fashion show. This year’s show includes over 100 fashion garments chosen by a panel of judges from a range of designers. So where is the show taking place this year? Is it in New York or Paris? No, in fact it’s right here at the Monona Terrace in Madison.

Most students at UW don’t realize there is an annual student fashion show at our campus. Although it has been a smaller event in years past, in the last two years the show has seen tremendous growth and gained a professional edge. This is due to a new structure and bigger budget the school has to work with, thanks to a donation from Kohl’s Department Stores.

Not having attended last year’s show, I decided to sit down with one of the show’s directors, UW Professor Jodyann Fossum, to learn more about everything that goes into making this show possible. One of the most exciting parts about the show this year is the theme.

Last year there was an incredible white garment that hung in the exhibit hall that had taken the student designer the entire year to complete. Many people don’t understand how long it takes to construct these types of garments, so the students and faculty thought it would be fascinating to show the entire process to the audience. As each model comes down the runway, behind them will be a screen telling the audience the designer and also their inspiration for the garment.

“Whether it was their original sketch of that [garment] or going to be some inspiration: Tears, fabric, whatever,” Fossum explained. “The whole show would be about A to Z, how to design a garment. Showing the inspiration, the garment and on the model.”

The most important goal of the show is of course to show off the student’s work, but how do students get their garments into the show? First, they have to be in the Textile and Apparel Student Association (TASA) to enter. Then a jury, made of three professionals, comes together to judge the garments that students submit.

“Everyone who’s in the show got juried; they had to be chosen. The jury rates each piece on construction, creativity and overall concept. And then we tallied all the scores and chose those designers to be in the show,” Fossum said.

Out of 180 garments, 111 were chosen from 41 student designers.

“We spent the fall semester really working on the creative and the philosophy and the presentation of the show and what we really want to get across,” she said.

So who puts together all the planning and execution of the show? There is actually a class at UW students can take to help plan and run the show. It’s a one credit class that not only exposes students who are interested in PR and marketing to a real world experience but also helps the show to be a student run production.

Fossum emphasized that staying true to the core mission of the show, celebrating the work of students on campus, is something they really try to adhere to. In the spring, the class really picks up momentum as the date of the show gets closer. They not only have to sell tickets to the show but also make sure everything for the rehearsal and production day is coordinated, and that they get the advertising and promotion of the event in the public eye.

Another big part of the planning committee’s job is to hold a model call. Yes, that means everyone on this campus had a chance to prove they could strut their stuff on the runway. You could very well see your fellow classmates modeling the clothing at the show. At this year’s audition, 36 models were chosen to participate and be fitted with the designer’s clothing.

To add to the chaos and busy lives of the students involved, there is a rehearsal of the show that runs most of the day before. May 7 there will be two shows, one at 2 p.m. and one at 7 p.m. Each show will be about an hour long, illuminated with lights from above each piece as they come down the runway. Both shows are only $10 for students and the night show will also include a reception afterward and an exhibit showcasing more student pieces. Tickets can be bought online or from many retail and design major students.

When walking in, don’t anticipate a small event. Last year both shows brought in around 700 people each, a number they hope to increase this year. The show is a breathtaking reflection on what our fellow students can create, and the true genius and talent hidden in Sterling’s walls. Original textiles and garments will truly showcase the passion these designers have for fashion. I guarantee you’ll leave the show with your head swimming in awe of some of the most creative students we have on campus.

Gina Jensen is a senior majoring in retail and is a wannabe Carrie Bradshaw. Send her fashion faux pas and column ideas to [email protected].