Residents say proposed West Washington development ‘looks like a prison’

Development will set precedent for new construction in Mifflin neighborhood
Teymour Tomsyck

Residents and a handful of students voiced their concerns over a proposed development on 400 W. Washington Ave. at a neighborhood meeting Tuesday.

Student residents said they were saddened over how construction of the 85 unit apartment, and demolition of six Mifflin style houses, would detract from the feel of the neighborhood. Members of the public, including students, criticized the architecture of the development, saying it looked like a prison and likened it to the Humanities Building.

The development is particularly significant because it will be the first of its kind under the new downtown development plan and officials believe it will set the precedent for future developments.

Potential West Washington apartment building tests city’s development plan

Residents from six houses that would be demolished for the development, primarily students and low-income workers, said the cost of new development goes beyond aesthetics.

Mike Shlonke, a senior graduate student at University of Wisconsin, said he is worried the new development will force out students who otherwise would have been able to afford living in the area. While concessions must be made to address low vacancy rates, Shlonke said decisions on new developments should keep in mind the low spending power of students.

“The median cost of these apartments seems to be around $900, which is double the cost of these houses,” Shlonke said. “And it looks horrendous, like a prison.”

Melissa Huggins, founder of Urban Assets who represents the developers, said the goal of the development is to provide sustainable, dense housing for young professionals while also maintaining “the feel” of West Washington. Despite the effort, nearly all of the attendees said they disliked the proposed design, which Huggins said the developers will take into account.

Jeff Ripp, local resident, accused the development company of failing to properly notify residents of the proposed changes, citing the small number in attendance.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, whose district covers the proposed development, said he has taken a neutral stance to the new development until the community voices its opinion. But at the conclusion of the meeting, Verveer said there were valid concerns the development must address before he could give it his blessing.

The developer will present information Wednesday on the project to the Urban Design Commission. If the proposal clears all city requirements without delay, the proposal could be approved as early as June.