Potential West Washington apartment building tests city’s development plan

Construction would mean demolishing six Mifflin style houses
Emily Shullaw

The future of a potential apartment building construction on West Washington will provide a test case for the city as it would be the first Mifflin area development requiring the demolition of original housing.

The development would demolish six houses on the 400 block of West Washington, one of which is a historical protected building, in exchange for an 85 unit apartment building, Alder Mike Verveer, District 4, said. The development pits the need for the city to alleviate low vacancy rates against the desire to preserve the character of the Mifflin area, he said. So far, city council members have not taken a definitive position.

The city continues to grapple with an unhealthily low vacancy rate as housing developments lag behind increasing demand.

In Madison, housing development cycle lacks affordability

The development by Up Urban Properties fits within the city’s new Downtown Development Plan, but would require six three-story houses to be demolished, Verveer said. The decision to allow the development will ultimately come down to deciding between whether the city should prioritize affordable student housing or create more housing opportunities, he said.

“This will be a test case for the city, but right now I haven’t taken a position,” Verveer said.

The developer has already made adjustments to its initial proposal to make the building less obtrusive, such as stepping back higher levels of the building, Verveer said. He said he will not make a decision on supporting the development until the neighborhood has the chance to voice their opinions.

Alder Zach Wood, District 8, a recent University of Wisconsin graduate, said he has concerns about the affordability of new developments and the feeling associated with the Mifflin area. When considering the potential effects of new developments, he said it’s important to consider how changes will affect the price of surrounding housing.

Wood said he has not decided his position on the new development, but said it’s important the city ask the right questions before allowing construction to commence.

To avoid the historic preservation obstacle, Verveer said the developer has offered to give away the house to anyone who will relocate it. Should the developer find a home for the historic house, he said they will likely face a difficult review process as the outcome may set the tone for future developments.

So far there has been no neighborhood discussion and the first meeting will take place on March 8, at 330 W. Mifflin St., Verveer said.