MPD seeks to give Madtown Hopper helper an award

The unidentified man helped fend off an attacker last weekend
Herald File Photo

Madison Police Department is seeking the individual who aided a Madtown Hopper Driver when an intoxicated man attacked her early Saturday morning.

The intoxicated aggressor, Lahcen Martinez, 25, attacked the 21-year-old female Hopper driver just before 3:30 a.m. Saturday on the 400 block of North Frances Street.

MPD has the suspect in custody and a street camera captured the attack, but the detective investigating the case would still like to get a statement from the helpful individual because he is a key witness, Joel Despain, MPD spokesperson, said.

The individual may be a student, due to the location of the incident, he said.

Madtown Hopper driver attacked Saturday

MPD will also nominate the individual for an award if he is identified.

MPD has two awards that can be given to citizens: the Citizens Recognition Award and the Outstanding Support Award, Despain said. A committee then votes on who receives the award.

“Maybe he doesn’t really think that the police want to talk to him,” Despain said. “We’d just like to know who he is so we can nominate him for an award and a detective can take his statement.”

Sara Grimes, spokesperson for the Madtown Hopper, said they extend their thanks to the individual who helped their driver over the weekend.

“We are very thankful for the good samaritan who helped us out this weekend, and we would like to extend our appreciation to him. As always, these things are inevitable and we’re fortunate enough to have the support of the Madison community,” Grimes said. “The Hopper will continue to be a safe and fun ride option and we are looking forward to the future.”