Road rage escalates to gun threat near Beltline Highway

Madison police are investigating a case of road rage involving a weapon on the 1500 block of Greenway Cross early Wednesday evening, Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

According to the police report, a black male suspect between the age of 30 and 40 pulled a gun on a 58-year-old man visiting from Brodhead, Wis., after following him into a restaurant parking lot off Greenway Cross.

DeSpain said he believes the victim did not understand what was going on during the incident. The report said the suspect was angry with the victim for cutting him off while pulling into the parking lot. The victim told police he did no such thing.

According to DeSpain, the victim was exiting his car to eat when he heard the angry man yelling at him. As the victim came closer to the suspect’s vehicle, the suspect allegedly threatened to shoot him, pulling out a 9-millimeter semiautomatic pistol, the report said.

According to the report, the driver announced “I’m going to cap (shoot) your (behind)!” as he approached the victim.

DeSpain said these kinds of incidents happen occasionally. He said police have witnessed incidents where drivers point guns, instead of the usual middle finger or inflammatory language.

Still, DeSpain said although the police department has seen multiple incidences where guns are displayed in road rage arguments, they have never seen a gun actually used in these situations.

DeSpain said there are no suspect leads in this case yet. He said it will be very difficult to track down the suspect, who was driving a black SUV, because he was using a temporary license plate.

“In general if people can keep their cool and ignore whatever is transpiring as far as the hostility or anger coming from another driver and just go about their business and not engage the other person that is the best thing to do,” DeSpain said.