Man found unconscious on corner of N. Henry Street and Gilman Street, police arrest robbery suspect

Police arrested a suspect connected with a violent robbery committed at the corner of West Gilman Street and North Henry Street early Wednesday morning, according to Madison Police Department Lt. Daniel Olivas.

Police found the 34-year-old male victim unconscious at the scene of the crime, the MPD incident report said. The victim has been taken to a hospital with a facial fracture and brain bleed, the report said.

“In the central downtown area it’s unfortunately not that unusual that there’s a strong arm given and [victims are] robbed by force,” Olivas said.

Olivas said officers arrested 18-year-old Aleque Guerra for five charges including robbery, substantial battery, resisting, bail jumping and underage possession or consumption on licensed premises.

According to the incident report, a witness called the police after seeing the suspect beating the victim. Police arrived shortly and pursued the suspect on foot, Olivas said. The report said police caught Guerra with the victim’s property in his pocket.