City looks to revamp historic Yahara River Parkway

The City of Madison is taking the first steps toward revamping the area between Lake Mendota and Monona this summer in hopes of invigorating the parkway for future developments.

Although planning is still in the early stages, city staff members briefed the Board of Park Commissioners on the proposal, which includes preserving the historic “prairie style” along the Yahara River that connects Lakes Mendota and Monona, opening up more corridors for pedestrians.

Yahara River Parkway was designated as a city landmark in 1995 and is on the register for National Historic Places. 

Jay Wendt, an urban design planner for the city, said the project was brought back to focus in light of the recent development along the Capitol East corridor. 

Wendt said one of the considerations of the city as it moves forward in the planning process is how the future development will be integrated with the parkway, adding the city planning division hopes the plans for the parkway could provide a catalyst for redevelopment along the Capital East and East Washington Corridors. 

“The ultimate goal would be getting public and private improvements built along to the parkway and making it the best public amenity it can be for Madison’s future,” Wendt said. 

Ald. Ledell Zellers, District 2, said in an email to The Badger Herald the planning process is still in its very early stages and the city would like to gather more public opinion first. 

“There will be informational open houses to include more of the public and to gather public input before going on to any further stages in the planning process,” Zellers said. 

City staff have also provided background information on the project to the Tenney Lapham Neighborhood Association’s council, Marquette Neighborhood Association, the Friends of the Yahara River Parkway and the city’s Park Commission, Zellers added.