Pedestrian-bus collision on Atwood Avenue injures one

Atwood Avenue: Injury

A 38-year-old woman walked in front of a moving Madison Metro bus on Atwood Avenue Monday afternoon.

According to a Madison Police Department statement, the woman fell to the pavement and hit her head. She was taken to an area hospital immediately, the statement said.

The bus driver stopped immediately and was not cited, the statement said. The woman was wearing headphones, which may or may not have contributed to the accident, the statement said.

The accident occurred on Atwood Avenue near Oakridge Avenue, the statement said.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said they are still investigating the accident. He said the woman most likely received nonlife-threatening injuries, but because it was a head injury, there is no certainty. He said it was clear from surveillance video at the scene that she hit her head.

DeSpain called it a “freak accident” and said MPD hopes to speak with the woman who was in the accident as soon as they can. He said accidents like the one that occurred Monday do not happen frequently in Madison.

He said the bus driver handled the situation well. 

“The bus driver was sympathetic and compassionate,” DeSpain said.