Madison launches plans for sustainability center

The City of Madison is looking to create a Madison Sustainability Commerce Center in an effort to promote an increase in “green” building.

According to a statement, the city is hoping for the center to target the area along East Washington Avenue between Blair Street and First Street.

The first step in creating the center comprises a feasibility study that would research tenant demand, green building technology and sustainability in Madison, according to the statement. The study will cost $154,000 and will potentially be completed by February 2013.

The team working on the study will explore the benefits of how sustainable building is good for the Madison community and will accept many ideas on the center.

Mayor Paul Soglin said he is interested in the MSCC for both its positive environmental and cost-effective impact.

“We know in the long run that most green buildings provide both economic and environmental payback,” Soglin said. “While there may be a greater capital cost up front, that long-term operational cost is lower with more efficient building.”

He added by working with green buildings, the city also sends a message to its community about its values and beliefs.

According to Soglin, the MSCC addresses more than just “green” building. He said in addition to energy efficiency, it also looks at water conservation and addresses the use of building in a way that encourages transportation systems that are not as dependent on the automobile.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the MSCC will hopefully lead to increased economic development and, in turn, quality jobs. He added Madison has been supportive of “green” building for many years.

“Madison has tried to be a leader in that area and this would be the latest, cleanest example of continuing in that area,” Verveer said. “The city has made ‘green’ building an initiative for some time in our own projects that the city funds.”

Verveer said the MSCC has also gained widespread support from City Council members and hopes the city will pursue it.