Crime in brief

LANGDON STREET

Robbery

In separate incidents, two 20-year-old University of Wisconsin students became victims of muggings on Langdon Street early Saturday morning, according to Madison Police reports.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said authorities believe the two robberies were connected because of the time between them, their proximity and the descriptions of the suspects.

According to the reports, the first mugging occurred at 3:26 a.m. on the 200 block of Langdon. The report said three men, aged 20-25, appeared from a dark alley and took the victim’s wallet after knocking him down and giving him a bloody nose.

Then, at 3:34 a.m. on the same block, another victim said he was attacked by two men, both men ages 25-29, the report said. Both victims identified one perpetrator as having dreadlocked hair.

The report said after being pinned against a parked car with a hand placed on his throat, the second victim gave the perpetrators money after being demanded to do so.

UNIVERSITY AVENUE

Robbery

A 50-year-old Madison man sustained multiple blows to the head as he fended off a crook from taking his bicycle early Saturday morning, an MPD report said.

According to the report, a group of young men approached the victim, who was standing with his bicycle on the 600 block of University Avenue around 3:10 a.m. One individual took hold of the bike and said he intended to steal it.

The victim managed to hang on to his bike but was punched multiple times in the face by the suspect while doing so, according to the report. The group eventually fled.

DeSpain did not confirm whether the robbery was related to similar events that night on Langdon Street.

“The crimes are a little bit different, but again, if you look at the time and proximity, it’s still fairly close to Langdon Street,” DeSpain said. “So certainly that possibility exists, that it is the same people.”

NORTH FRANCES STREET

Disturbance

A 23-year-old Sun Prairie man was arrested early Sunday morning after attempting to start a fight, an MPD report said.

Taron Randle was arrested for disorderly conduct, resisting and possession of THC at 2:28 a.m. on the 400 block of North Frances Street, according to the report.

Police arrived on the scene in which Randle had drawn a crowd, the report said. It also said Randle threatened to hurt the arresting officers as he was arrested.

STATE STREET

Battery

Police arrested a man dressed only in underwear after he began wrestling with another man early Monday morning, according to an MPD report.

The report said Peter Robbins, 28, of Madison was arrested for battery, disorderly conduct and resisting on the 300 block of State Street at 2:30 a.m. He was seen bouncing the victim into a wall, taking him to the ground and holding him in a tight headlock.

After refusing to release the victim, an officer struck Robbins with pepper spray, forcing him break his hold, the report said. Robbins claimed the victim called him a derogatory name, which the victim denied, saying he only told Robbins to “put some clothes on.”