Crime in brief

WILLIAMSON STREET (PLAN B BAR)

Battery

A 28-year-old man was hospitalized early Thursday morning
and sustained a brain injury after being punched by a 33-year-old man at Plan B
nightclub and bar, according to a Madison Police Department report.

According to the police report, the man was making lewd
comments to the suspect and his wife while they were dancing. The suspect
claimed that he and his wife told the suspect to stop to no avail. He then told
police that the victim swung at him first and missed, and the suspect responded
by punching the man.

The victim was admitted to a medical facility with a head
cut and was later found to have suffered a brain bleed from his injuries,
according to the report.

MPD Lt. Trevor Knight confirmed the incident in an interview
with The Badger Herald. However, he said he could not speak to the current
status of the injured man.

“Seeing serious injuries like this from a bar fight is not
uncommon,” Knight said.

Plan B had no comment on the incident.

STATE STREET

Theft

A 43-year-old employee of Calvary Lutheran Church on State Street was robbed Wednesday afternoon, according to a police report. The suspect allegedly took money from the victim’s purse, which was in her office at the church.

MPD spokesman Joel DeSpain said the suspect entered the church asking for a place to study, though he appeared to have no materials to study with. He was found a few minutes later in the victim’s office with his hand in her purse.

“This seems to have been a crime of opportunity,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “Though theft is not a rare crime, it has not been happening on State Street very often.”

The suspect has not been found, DeSpain said. He is described as approximately 6 feet tall and between 20 and 30 years old. He was last seen running from the church wearing a red letterman-style jacket, jeans and a baseball cap, according to the police report.

EAST WILSON STREET

Robbery

A 27-year-old male was injured after being beaten and robbed Thursday night.

The victim was walking on the bike path near the 1200 block of East Wilson Street when he was approached by the two suspects, according to a police report. The two suspects verbally harassed the victim before punching him and taking his wallet, according to the report.

The victim was taken to the hospital, suffering minor injuries. The two suspects are still unidentified, according to DeSpain.

The suspects are described as males between the ages of 20 and 30 with stocky builds, wearing black hooded sweatshirts. They were last seen leaving the scene of the incident by foot.

DeSpain said robberies and assaults on bike paths occurred relatively frequently near the East Wilson Street area last summer.

“We are working to stop a repeat of what happened on the bike paths in our warmer months last year,” said DeSpain.

WEST BELTLINE/ZOR SHRINE BUILDING

Intoxicated Driver

A Lodi man was arrested Wednesday evening after crashing his vehicle into the Zor Shrine building off the Beltline near Gammon Road, according to an MPD report.

The man was under the influence of heroin at the time of the accident, DeSpain said. He also had heroin in his vehicle and was charged with possession of heroin and other drug paraphernalia.

The suspect told police he had purchased heroin earlier in the day, and DeSpain said there is reason to believe he may have been en route to purchase more at the time of the accident.

No one involved in the accident was injured, though another car struck on the Beltline was damaged. There was also significant damage to the Zor Shrine building as the result of the collision, according to DeSpain.

“Heroin use in Dane County has been at epidemic levels for at least a year,” said DeSpain. “Initiatives have been taken by the Madison Police Department and the City of Madison to address this extremely serious problem.”