Crime in brief

SOUTH PARK STREET

Weapons Violation

A female cab driver was injured by a customer Friday morning, according to a Madison Police Department incident report.

The police report said when the driver stopped to let the customer out of the vehicle, the suspect said he had no money and began to repeatedly stab her in the arm and ear. The suspect also went through her pockets.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said he does not believe there has been an increase in crime in the South Park street area, despite this and other recent incidents.

He added there is a lead in the case.

“This case has been assigned to a police detective who does have a lead,” DeSpain said. “No arrests have been made in this case, but we are hopeful that we are close to finding the suspect.”

The suspect was described as a thin black female wearing a tan coat. She was last seen running from the scene northbound on Park Street.

DeSpain also urged anyone with any information to call the Madison Area Crime Stoppers hotline at 608-266-6014.

“We want to protect the people like cab drivers and convenience store owners who are out there late at night when these violent attacks often happen,” DeSpain said.

The victim’s injuries were not life-threatening, according to the police report.

WEST GORHAM STREET

Intoxicated Driver

A 23-year-old male was arrested early Friday morning for driving under the influence of marijuana and alcohol in the downtown area, according to a Madison Police report.

The report said the suspect was pulled over on West Gorham Street after running a red light. The arresting officer could also smell marijuana coming from the car.

A partially-consumed bottle of alcohol was found in the vehicle, as well as a small amount of marijuana, according to the police report.

This was the suspect’s fourth drunk driving offense. He was also charged with resisting arrest and for violation of probation, the report said.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said intoxicated driving has not been a major issue for the downtown area, potentially due to alternative modes of transportation.

“There has not been an increase in drunk driving cases in the campus area,” Resnick said. “This is most likely due to students who live downtown having other modes of transportation. Drunk driving arrests downtown are not very common.”

Resnick said he did not believe the unseasonably warm weather has had an effect on increased crime in the campus area.

NORTHPORT DRIVE

Gun Call

MPD responded to a call Friday night after a Madison Metro bus reported its windows were damaged by gun shots, a report said.

The report said the bus was en route when the shots were fired and the passenger side windows were shot out.

There are currently no suspects and no weapon was found. The passengers on the bus were not harmed.

WEST BADGER ROAD

Battery

A 15-year-old girl was arrested for substantial battery to a 21-year-old woman late Wednesday night, according to a police report.

The suspect used a sock filled with rocks as a weapon to severely beat the victim. The two had been verbally fighting before the assault, according to the police report.

DeSpain said the victim and suspect knew each other before the incident took place.

The victim was treated for significant head injuries, according to the report.

DeSpain said the suspect was detained in a juvenile center.

– Adrianna Viswanatha contributed to this article.