Same-sex education questioned

The proposal for Madison’s new charter school, Madison Prep, is facing criticism from the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin for its same-sex education strategy, which is unique in the area.

ACLU released a letter outlining the concerns over the legality of the same-sex education plan Madison Prep is proposing. According to the letter, coeducation is not a cause of the achievement gap.

Laura DeRoche-Perez, director of school development for Madison Prep, said same-sex education in primary and secondary schools is allowed under the law.

“[The Urban League of Greater Madison’s] opinion is that the ACLU’s disdain for single-gender education is playing a role in the debate in Madison that is moot,” she added.

Stacy Harbaugh, ACLU spokesperson, said research has been done that shows same-sex education does not improve achievement.

University of Wisconsin experts partnered up with other researchers to look at other studies done on same-sex education, she said.

Harbaugh said the researchers found the studies to be methodologically flawed, biased and unscientific.

“The only thing that single-sex schools reinforce are outdated gender stereotypes of how boys and girls learn,” she said.

DeRoche-Perez said there is significant research and evidence that proves same-sex education works. DeRoche-Perez recognized that same-sex education is not the “sole ingredient” for achievement, but said it is needed for Madison Prep.

Same-sex education is one option that has not been explored yet regarding the achievement gap, she said. She said there are no other options like this in Dane County, and parents need to have options.

“Coupled with other strategies, we think it’s going to be successful,” DeRoche-Perez said.

Mary Burke, a retired Madison business executive who recently donated $2.5 million to Madison Prep, also agrees that there is not one factor that will close the achievement gap.

“I don’t believe there is any one way to addressing the issue,” Burke said. “Progress can be made in public schools, but more than one significant initiative needs to be in place.”

DeRoche-Perez said Madison Prep is going to close the gap by being different and effective in that it will focus on culture.

Harbaugh believes there are other ways to tackle the achievement gap that do not include same-sex segregation.

“The racial achievement gap isn’t caused because boys and girls are going to school in the same classroom,” she said. “The achievement gap is related to other issues like racism and poverty.”

Still, Harbaugh said the separation of sexes concept is outdated.

“Our country learned a long time ago that separate but equal doesn’t work,” she said.

The ACLU recommends focusing on learning styles to close the achievement gap. Harbaugh said serving students in smaller class sizes and providing tutors should be the focus.

Harbaugh said ACLU is also concerned with the limited acceptance regarding children with disabilities at Madison Prep. Charter schools are claiming that they can operate cheaply, which she said is because they don’t hire special education staff.

Harbaugh said when charter schools “cherry pick,” the broader effect will be on the entire system.

DeRoche-Perez said ACLU members are welcome to their opinions, but the Urban League stands by its plans.